8 Best Betta Fish Books in 2023 – Reviews & Top Picks
For a long time, people considered the care of betta fish to be cut and dry. They’re still sold as beginner or low-maintenance pets that require minimal time, care, and knowledge. However, betta fish have specific needs, so their keepers need to understand those needs to keep them healthy and thriving. A betta fish can live for years with proper care, and a well-educated fish keeper can ensure that happens.
We’ve rounded up the best betta fish care books for this year to help you find the right one to ensure you’re giving your betta the best life possible. Whether you want an all-inclusive book with detailed information or a book that is kid-friendly, there’s something in these reviews to meet your needs.
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites of 2023
|Best Overall||Betta Fish Care: The Ultimate Guide||
|Best Value||Betta Fish: The Simple Guide to Caring for Your Magical Betta||
|Premium Choice||The Betta Bible: The Art and Science of Keeping Bettas||
|Betta Splendens for Beginners – Species Appropriate Care||
|The Betta Handbook||
The 8 Best Betta Fish Books Are:
1. Betta Fish Care: The Ultimate Guide – Best Overall
|Number of Pages:||79|
The best overall betta fish book is Betta Fish Care: The Ultimate Guide from It’s a Fish Thing. This book is 79 pages packed with everything you need to know about your betta fish, from anatomy to history to comprehensive care information. This book is available in eBook format as a PDF, which means you can read it from any electronic device, not just a tablet or Kindle. The book’s Q&A section covers your most pressing betta questions, and there is information about how to enrich your betta’s environment, how to breed your betta safely, and how to care for a sick betta.
This comprehensive guide has an impressive amount of information without being an overwhelming number of pages. The only downside to this book is that it may be too much information if you are just looking for the most basic information regarding the care of your betta fish.
- 79 pages
- Comprehensive care guide
- Details betta fish history and color and tail morphs
- PDF format eBook
- Simplified information that is not overwhelming
- May be too comprehensive for those looking for basic care info
This is our book, so we’re admittedly biased – but our team of fishkeepers developed this book after being frustrated by the lack of available options. So, we created what we think is the best Betta fish care book, and we hope you get to own a copy and love it as much as we do.
2. Betta Fish: The Simple Guide to Caring for Your Magical Betta – Best Value
|Number of Pages:||124|
The best betta fish book for the money is Betta Fish: The Simple Guide to Caring for Your Magical Betta. This book has 124 pages of information covering everything from why betta fish flare to the history of the betta, and more. It acknowledges the misguided belief that betta fish require little to no care, and it provides the comprehensive information that allows you to become the best betta keeper you can be.
Some users of this book have found some of the information to be inadequate and lacking in details, so it may not be ideal for someone looking for an in-depth guide. This book is a good option for beginner aquarists.
- 124 pages
- Contains lots of information
- Easy to understand format
- Good option for beginners
- Some information may be lacking in depth
3. The Betta Bible: The Art and Science of Keeping Bettas – Premium Choice
|Number of Pages:||318|
The premium book for betta fish care and information is The Betta Bible: The Art and Science of Keeping Bettas. It has 318 pages of in-depth information and color photographs. It details breeding information, including how to understand betta fish genetics. This book is considered a great option for beginners and experienced aquarists alike.
It does have an in-depth section regarding the history and sport of betta fish fighting, which may be stressful for some readers. This book was also published in 2015, making it a little older than some of the other options reviewed.
- 318 pages
- Contains in-depth information about the history and care of betta fish
- Has over 150 color photos
- Discusses betta fish genetics for breeding purposes
- Good option for beginners and experienced aquarists
- Slightly older than some other books reviewed
- Has a long section detailing the history and sport of betta fish fighting
4. Betta Splendens for Beginners – Species Appropriate Care for a Fighting Fish
|Number of Pages:||76|
Betta Splendens for Beginners – Species Appropriate Care for a Fighting Fish is a good book pick for adults and children who are beginners to the care of betta fish. It has 76 pages and was published in February 2021, making it one of the newer books reviewed. It presents a comprehensive betta fish care guide in a way that is not overwhelming, and that focuses on some of the most important information about the care of these fish.
This book is not a good pick for a moderately or highly experienced aquarist due to the simplification of information.
- Good option for beginners and children
- 76 pages
- One of the most recent publications reviewed
- Presents a comprehensive care guide in a way that isn’t overwhelming or confusing
- Not a good pick for an experienced aquarist
5. The Betta Handbook
|Number of Pages:||176|
The Betta Handbook is one of the older books reviewed, having been published in 2015. It has 176 pages of information regarding housing, feeding, healthcare, and other aspects of care for the betta fish. It includes color photos and diagrams to simplify information. It also provides information about the genetics of bettas, including color information about breeding, as well as information about other betta species beyond the usual Betta splendens.
This book takes a scientific approach toward the care of betta fish, which may be overwhelming for some people. Some readers have found this book has too much detailed information regarding betta fish care for the average or beginning aquarist.
- 176 pages
- Contains information regarding basic betta fish care
- Includes information about genetics and other betta species
- Uses a scientific approach to discuss the betta fish
- Not a good option for beginners or people looking for basic care information
- May be overwhelming due to the scientific approach
6. Betta: Your Happy Healthy Pet
|Number of Pages:||130|
Betta: Your Happy Healthy Pet is the oldest book reviewed, but it does have 130 pages of information regarding aquarium setup for the health and happiness of your betta, choosing appropriate tankmates, and overall care information. It also provide information on breeding betta fish for those who are interested in doing so.
The information may be overwhelming for a beginner aquarist, and some of the information is presented within the context of the assumption that the reader has a tank larger than 10 gallons, which may not be appropriate for all readers.
- 130 pages
- Discusses tank setup and appropriate tankmates
- Contains breeding information
- Covers basic care information
- Good option for moderately experienced aquarists
- Oldest book reviewed with a publishing date of 2006
- May be overwhelming for beginner aquarists
- Some information focuses on larger tanks than many betta keepers have
7. Betta Fish: Your Complete Guide to Ensure You Give Your Betta the Best Life Possible
|Number of Pages:||52|
Betta Fish: Your Complete Guide to Ensure You Give Your Betta the Best Life Possible has 52 pages of information, making it the shortest book reviewed. It provides fun information on how to train your betta to perform tricks, as well as comprehensive information about the basic care needs of bettas. It also discusses tank setup and how to provide a healthy, enriching environment for your fish. It includes tank cleaning information and common myths surrounding the care of bettas.
The conversational style may make it easy to read, but some of the included information may be outdated or not appropriate for experienced aquarists.
- 52 pages
- Contains info on training bettas to do tricks
- Discusses care needs and a healthy, appropriate tank environment
- Covers myths surrounding the care of bettas
- Shortest book reviewed
- Some information may be outdated
- Not a good option for experienced aquarists
8. Betta Fish or Siamese Fighting Fish: Betta Fish Owners Manual
|Number of Pages:||128|
Betta Fish or Siamese Fighting Fish: Betta Fish Owners Manual has 128 pages of information, although its most recent publication date is 2015. It includes information regarding the appearance of different types of bettas, how to safely breed bettas, and how to provide proper care to your fish. It covers the basics of choosing the right fish and what their water parameters should be, as well as how to deal with aggression between bettas and tankmates.
However, some of the information lacks depth. There are no pictures in the book to show differences between betta varieties or provide a visual of what to look for when dealing with a sick betta fish.
- 128 pages
- Discusses appearance and breeding of bettas
- Covers basic care information
- Discusses tankmates and managing aggression
- One of the older books reviewed with a publication date of 2015
- Some information lacks depth
- No pictures
Buyer’s Guide: Selecting The Best Betta Fish Book
Choosing the Right Betta Fish Book for Your Needs
Choosing the right book can be difficult, especially when you aren’t able to skim through the book before purchasing it. If you’re a beginner, you may not know what kind of information you’re looking for at all, while a more experienced aquarist may be looking for a book detailing something very specific. To choose the right book for your needs, your first step is to honestly evaluate your knowledge as a fish keeper. There is no judgment, and choosing a book that is not going to provide information on the level you need may do you more harm than good.
Choose a book that doesn’t just suit your knowledge level but also one that covers the topics you’re most interested in learning about. If you need a book that tells you step-by-step instructions on setting up your betta’s tank, find one with a chapter covering that. If you’re hoping to breed your bettas, finding a book that discusses safe breeding practices and genetics is likely to be beneficial to you, helping you become a responsible breeder with the well-being of your fish in mind.
The best overall book for betta fish information is Betta Fish Care: The Ultimate Guide. It has comprehensive information and is user friendly. The budget friendly pick is Betta Fish: The Simple Guide to Caring for Your Magical Betta, which has great info for beginners. For a large book with lots of colorful pictures and detailed information, check out The Betta Bible: The Art and Science of Keeping Bettas. These reviews are a collection of the best betta books this year to help you find the best book to meet your and your betta’s needs.
Featured Image Credit: Pixabay