Cats have shared lives with humans for thousands of years. One consistent thing that they’ve sustained over the years is the love and loyalty they receive from their fanbase. Many people have devoted poetic words and thoughtful truths about their feline friends. We have a collection of our favorite quotes about cats. Keep reading to laugh, feel inspired, and remember how lovable cats can be.
The 50 Best Cat Quotes
Funny Cat Quotes
Cats often do perplexing things or get into antics that make us laugh. These quotes perfectly encapsulate how humorous life with cats can be.
- “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” – Terry Pratchett
- “I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days.” – Bill Dana
- “As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows, cats have enormous patience with the limitations of humankind.” – Cleveland Amory
- “Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose.” – Garrison Keillor
- “The cat is above all things, a dramatist.” – Margaret Benson
- “When Rome burned, the emperor’s cats still expected to be fed on time.” – Seanan McGuire
- “Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause the most inconvenience.” – Pam Brown
- “Dogs come when they’re called; cats take a message and get back to you later.” – Mary Bly
- “Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” – Christopher Hitchens
- “Cats have a sense of humor, as is shown in their extreme love of play. A middle-aged cat will often play as unreservedly as a kitten, though he knows perfectly well it is only a game.” – William Lyon Phelps
Heartwarming Cat Quotes
Cats have a reputation for being aloof and self-serving. However, they’re capable of showing a lot of love, and people share many sweet moments with them. The following quotes will make you feel warm and fuzzy and have extra appreciation for your cat.
- “There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be welcomed by a cat.” – Tay Hohoff
- “There are no ordinary cats.” – Colette
- “In nine lifetimes, you’ll never know as much about your cat as your cat knows about you.” – Michel de Montaigne
- “Of all the things God created, from sunrises and rainbows, to black holes and humor, cats are the most fascinating to me.” – Jarod Kintz
- “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” – Albert Schweitzer
- “What greater gift than the love of a cat.” – Charles Dickens
- “A happy arrangement: many people prefer cats to other people, and many cats prefer people to other cats.” – Mason Cooley
- “Kittens are angels with whiskers.” – Alexis Flora Hope
- “One cat just leads to another.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “A meow massages the heart.” – Stuart McMillan
- “Time spent with cats is never wasted.” – Sigmund Freud
- “I love cats because I enjoy my home. And little by little, they become its visible soul.” – Jean Cocteau
- “The smallest feline is a masterpiece.” – Leonardo da Vinci
- “A kitten is in the animal world what a rosebud is in the garden.” – Robert Southey
Quotes About Daily Life With Cats
Life with cats is certainly a different experience from other kinds of pets. These quotes encapsulate funny and beautiful experiences that are relatable to many cat owners.
- “As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.” – Ellen Perry Berkeley
- “Cats know how to obtain food without labor, shelter without confinement, and love without penalties.” – WL George
- “Never try to outstubborn a cat.” – Robert A. Heinlein
- “The way to get on with a cat is to treat it as an equal — or even better, as the superior it knows itself to be.” – Elizabeth Peters
- “A cat will do what it wants when it wants, and there’s not a thing you can do about it.” – Frank Perkins
- “A cat is a puzzle for which there is no solution.” – Hazel Nicholson
- “Cats choose us; we don’t own them.” – Kristin Cast
- “Cats have it all: admiration, an endless sleep, and company only when they want it.” – Rod McKuen
- “The key to a successful new relationship between a cat and human is patience.” – Susan Easterly
- “Cats are dangerous companions for writers because cat watching is a near-perfect method of writing avoidance.” – Dan Greenburg
- “A cat can purr its way out of anything.” – Donna McCrohan
Wise Quotes About Cats
You can learn a lot from cats, and many people have gained wisdom from them. Here are some wise truths that cats have bestowed upon us.
- “Letting the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than putting it back in.” – Will Rogers
- “I have lived with several Zen masters – all of them cats.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “Way down deep, we’re all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them.” – Jim Davis
- “Cats seem to go on the principles that it never does any harm to ask for what you want.” – Joseph Wood Krutch
- “Authors like cats because they are such quiet, lovable, wise creatures, and cats like authors for the same reasons.” – Robertson Davies
- “I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.” – Hippolyte Taine
- “Perhaps one reason we are fascinated by cats is because such a small animal can contain so much independence, dignity, and freedom of spirit. Unlike the dog, the cat’s personality is never bet on a human’s. He demands acceptance on his own terms.” – Lloyd Alexander
Proverbs About Cats
Cats have been observed by many different cultures and civilizations. The following proverbs contain poetic truths and observations that people have accumulated over the years.
- “You should not call in a cat to settle the argument of two birds.” – Indian Proverb
- “I gave an order to a cat, and the cat gave it to its tail.” – Chinese Proverb
- “The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry.” – French Proverb
- “A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays.” – English Proverb
- “In the eyes of a mouse, the cat is a lion.” – Albanian Proverb
- “If stretching made money, all cats would be wealthy.” – Ghanaian Proverb
- “A house without a dog or cat is the house of a scoundrel.” – Portuguese Proverb
- “Nature breaks through the eyes of the cat.” – Iranian Proverb
These have been some of our favorite quotes about cats. We hope that these quotes made you smile and brighten your day.
It’s clear that many people love cats, and cats will always have a large fanbase. If you’re feeling inspired, try writing down your own quotes and see who else can relate to the beautiful words you string together.