7 Best Dog Harnesses for Dachshunds in 2023 – Reviews & Top Picks
Some people think that walking a Dachshund is easy because of their size. Dachshund owners know that regardless of their size, these are determined little pets that like to lead the way. A harness can be a great way to keep your dog safe and gain control of your walks again. Some people purchase a harness for walking, and others will be looking for a car restraint. Regardless of what you need a harness for, we have put together a list of our seven favorites for Dachshunds. There is an option on this list for all budgets, and we hope it helps you find the product that you need.
A Quick Comparison of our Favorites in 2023
|Best Overall||PetSafe Easy Walk||
|Best Value||Sporn Non-Pull Mesh||
|Premium Choice||Chai's Choice 3M Reflective||
|Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart||
|PetSafe Happy Ride Dog Safety||
The 7 Best Harness for Dachshunds
1. PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness – Best Overall
We know how important it is to make sure that you are using a safe and effective harness on your Dachshund. We feel confident in our top pick, the PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness. If you are tired of pulling on a leash and worried about how it is affecting your dog, the PetSafe is a perfect choice.
The Pet Safe Easy Walk attaches near the chest and allows you to steer your entire dog around, as opposed to just pulling on their neck. You will instantly regain control with this harness and potentially even enjoy taking your four-legged friend for a walk again. Now, if your Dachshund is a bit bigger than others, you don’t have to worry as this unit is available in multiple sizes.
If your dog is the fashionable type, you will be happy to see that this harness comes in seven different color options as well. The pricing of the harness is quite affordable for the function that it will have in your life. The only downside that we have found on this model is that there is not much padding, so it could irritate if your dog still continually tries to pull.
All in all, we think this is the best dachshund dog harness available this year.
- Very fair value
- Effective at decreasing pulling from dog
- Available in many colors
- Takes the pressure off of your dog’s neck
- Highly adjustable for perfect fit
- Does not have much padding
2. Sporn Non-Pull Mesh Dog Harness – Best Value
If you like the idea of a harness for your Dachshund but don’t want to spend much money, then we have found the perfect option for you. The Sporn Non-Pull Mesh Dog Harness is the best harness for Dachshunds for the money.
The Sporn system is patented and approved by a panel of veterinarians. The harness is not restrictive when it comes to the natural movements of your dog. However, it is still more helpful than a traditional leash that puts so much pressure on the neck of your dog. The harness is designed to help with pulling, while still providing comfort for your dog.
The Sporn harness has padded restraint sleeves that do an excellent job of helping protect against any rubbing or irritation. It’s easy to get this harness on and off of your dog, and the fact that it is mesh means that it works quite well even in those hot summer months.
You can purchase the Sporn harness in three different colors and three different sizes as well. With the price of this harness, it is certainly worth a shot if you have been undecided about purchasing one.
- Excellent pricing
- Easy to use
- Still allows the dog to move naturally
- Available in several colors and sizes
- If your dog pulls a lot, the quality might not be high enough
3. Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness – Premium Choice
If you are one of those pet owners that will spend whatever is necessary to make sure your dog has the best harness, then the Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness is the perfect choice for you. Chai’s Choice is going to be a higher-priced model, but you do get a lot for your money with this choice.
For starters, the Chai’s Choice is a nice looking harness that is available in a wide and varied range of colors. It is made from a lightweight mesh padding that will help keep your dog on track but will also keep them comfortable. Chai’s Choice is effortless to adjust in order to make sure it is the perfect fit for your dog.
In addition to the fact that this harness works so well for walks, it can double as a seatbelt as well. All you have to do is slip a seatbelt through the handle on the top of the harness.
Just when you thought this was all the harness had to offer, there is more! This is actually a reflective harness; if you happen to take your dog for a walk at daybreak or dusk, then the 3M will be a much safer option than others.
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Reflective for night time or early morning walks
- Can be used as a seatbelt
- Comfortable with padding and great fabrics
4. Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness
The Kurgo Tru-Fit is also a bit of an expensive model, but it packs quite a bit of strength. If your dog is one that likes to try and escape a harness, the Kurgo is a perfect fit for you. In addition to this being an excellent harness for walking with your Dachshund, you can use it in the car as well. Sometimes when the more expensive products double as two products, it can be a bit easier to justify the money spent.
There is a steel buckle system that is incorporated into the Kurgo to help make sure that your dog stays in place. This is the same technology that rock climbers use, so you can rest assured that your dog is secure. There are five adjustable points on the harness so that you can get this to fit regardless of the body style of your dog.
There is also a pad on the chest portion of the harness to help with irritation and stress on the dog. The pad is also helpful in protecting your dog if they should be in a car accident.
- Very useful as a seatbelt
- Highly adjustable
- Includes a carabiner
- Maybe more than needed for just dog walks
5. PetSafe Happy Ride Dog Safety Harness
Next on our list is the PetSafe Happy Ride Dog Safety Harness. This is a great option if you have a long car ride coming up. This particular harness has been crash-tested and has continually performed quite well. You should have a bit more peace of mind when putting your dog in the car with the PetSafe Happy Ride Dog Harness.
This is a fully padded vest that has several points of attachment. You can customize the setup to work correctly in regards to how your dog will be most comfortable in the car. As far as getting your Dachshund in the vehicle and secured, it should only take a second using the seat in your vehicle and a tether.
One nice thing about this harness is how easily it detaches from the car when you get to rest stops. You can simply switch this over to a leash attachment and let your dog get a bit of exercise when you stop.
There is only one negative when it comes to the PetSafe, and that is the fact that it is most useful as a seatbelt, but it is not the best for a daily walking harness. In our opinion, if you are going to spend the money on a harness, you might as well get something that has dual functionality. However, if your dog is excellent at walks but just needs something for the car, the PetSafe is an option that you can have confidence in.
- Very safe as a vehicle harness
- Easy to detach and use at a rest stop
- Customizable car set up
- Not great for a daily walking harness
- The harness has been known to slip
6. Pawtitas Pet Reflective Dog Harness
If you like to have options when it comes to colors and style, then the Pawtitas Pet Reflective Dog Harness could be a great harness for your Dachshund. This is a model that is specifically designed for medium to small size dogs. This is an excellent option for a dog walk harness, and it is a simple step in design. You will have no trouble getting your Dachshund to put this harness on.
Another great thing about the Pawtitas harness is the fact that it has reflective technology to make sure your dog has high visibility even when walking in the darker parts of the day. The Pawtitas is a very reasonably priced option, but that is, unfortunately, what puts it a bit further down on our list. The quality of this harness does not seem to be as high as the others we have reviewed. Although you will save money, it may not be worth it.
The other issue we have is that the fit does not seem to be as customizable as other harnesses. Looking for a harness with several different points of adjustability is a smart move.
- Easy to get your dog into this harness
- Available in many colors and sizes
- Low priced
- Not as high when it comes to quality
- Lack of adjustability
7. RUFFWEAR No Pull Dog Harness
Last on our list is the Ruffwear No Pull Dog Harness. This is an option that can be put on your dog and left there all day. It is lightweight, durable, and made for easy and comfortable use.
There are two leash attachment points on the Ruffwear and webbing on the chest that will stand up to pulling. If you are looking to train and control your dog, the Ruffwear is a good option. There are four adjustable points to help this feel like a custom fit for your Dachshund.
You can get the Ruffwear in several different colors, and most of them are highly visible. However, the real problem we found with the Ruffwear is that it is not an option you can rely on if you have a dog that likes to escape.
If you have purchased other harnesses and your dog likes to try and manipulate their way out of them, you will struggle with the Ruffwear. For that reason, it made it to the bottom of our list. However, if you have a very well trained dog that does not pull all that much, you may find this to be a great option.
- Offered in a lot of colors
- Four points of adjustability
- Very expensive
- Not for dogs that pull
- Not for dogs that escape a harness easily
Buyer’s Guide: Finding the Best Dachshund Dog Harness
Now that you have a better idea of the harness options available for your Dachshund, you will have the difficult task of narrowing down which one is for you. There are a few things that you should keep in mind when buying a harness. You will want to make sure that you purchase something that works both for you and your animal.
The most important thing to establish is what your purpose for buying a harness is. There are three main reasons that people buy a harness for Dachshunds:
- To teach your dog not to pull
- Because you are worried about a collar around your dog’s neck
- For use as a seat belt for a car
Depending on your reasoning for purchasing a harness, the model that works best for you may change. It is essential to keep in mind that not all walking harnesses work as car restraints, and not all car restraints work as walking harnesses. If you plan on purchasing something that has dual functionality, you must carefully research the safety ratings on the harness.
Things To Look For In A Walking Harness
These are the most critical things to look for if you want a harness specifically for walking your dog.
- Adjustability: The harness should be adjustable in several places so that you can make sure your dog has a full range of motion. Although you will want to have control over your dog, they need to be able to move.
- Lightweight Fabric: If you purchase a harness that is almost like putting a sweater on your dog, it is going to be difficult and dangerous to use in the summertime. If you live in a warmer climate, look for a mesh/breathable type fabric. You will want your dog to remain cool while you still maintain control.
- Reflective: Depending on the time of day that you take your walks, you may want to find something that has a reflective fabric. This can be an essential safety feature.
- Comfort: Some harnesses have little to no padding, and others are covered in padding. It can be useful to find something that has a mix of straps and padding to make sure your dog Is comfortable. If you use your harness for a quick walk around the block every morning and your dog is not much of a puller, padding won’t matter. However, if you plan on keeping the harness on your dog throughout the day, you need to consider the comfort level of the product carefully.
Things To Look For In A Car Restraint
If you are specifically looking for a Dachshund dog harness to use as a car restraint, then these are the most important things to keep in mind:
- Safety: All car restraints for dogs should be crash-tested. If the product does not say it is crash-tested, then it is not safe to use as a car restraint.
- Functionality: Do not assume that all harnesses will work in cars; this is not the case. For the safety of your dog, buy a product that is built explicitly for car use.
- Attachment Points: Pay attention to how the harness attaches to the car. Do you have the correct seat belt configuration? Will you need additional pieces? Does your vehicle have the proper setup to use the dog harness?
- Padding: Car seat restraints for dogs seem to be more effective when they have a bit of extra padding. If there should ever be an accident, you will want them to have this additional protection.
- Overall Fit: If a car restraint does not fit your dog correctly, they will try and escape it during your car ride. Not only is this dangerous for the dog performing acrobatics in your back seat, but it is also extremely distracting for the person driving. Make sure that you purchase an adjustable option that fits your dog perfectly.
You will notice that regardless of the type of harness you are looking to purchase, there are lots of options when it comes to colors and designs. The color of your harness is up to personal preference. The only thing we suggest is getting a bright color or something reflective so you can have better visibility when using the harness in the early morning and the evening.
Dog harnesses for Dachshunds are not going to be an expensive purchase. Depending on how much you use the harness, you should get several years with this product before having to replace it. It is fair to estimate spending between $15-$30 on a harness for a small dog.
Hopefully, our guide gave you a better idea of what you need to help make both walks and car rides with your Dachshund a bit more enjoyable. Ultimately you will need to pick a product that works for your budget and needs, but we do believe the PetSafe Easy Walk Harness is a perfect choice. The PetSafe is available in many colors, it is easy to adjust, it is affordable, and it is an ideal option to start retaking control of your walks.
If you are unsure of how a harness is going to help your dog, or you just want a cheap option to give it a try, look into the Sporn Non-Pull. This is a very affordable dog harness for Dachshunds. If it does not work for your dog, you will not have wasted much money at all. Chances are, it will work well for your Dachshund as this harness is a great value.
Featured Image: Masarik, Shutterstock