5 Best Human-Grade Cat Foods – 2023 Reviews & Top Picks
Are you confused by the list of ingredients on the cat food label? You are not the only one. The marketing of pet foods containing human-grade ingredients is becoming common. This marketing appeals to many pet owners, but it is important to understand that this term has no legal definition and is used primarily for marketing purposes. Indeed, according to the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), the term “human-grade” has no definition in any animal feed regulations.
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites (2023 Update)
|Best Overall||Smalls Fresh Cat Food||
||Click to Save 40% Use code: Hepper2023|
|Best Value||Caru Free Range Chicken Broth for Cats||
|Open Farm Homestead Turkey Dry Cat Food||
|The Honest Kitchen Chicken Dry Cat Food||
|Lotus Venison Stew Canned Cat Food||
The 5 Best Human-Grade Cat Foods
1. Smalls Human Grade Fresh Cat Food – Best Overall
|Type of food:||Fresh|
|First ingredients:||Ground Beef (90% Lean), Beef Liver, Green Beans|
Cats absolutely love the recipes, and there are different options available depending on your kitty’s favorite protein source (beef, turkey, duck, or chicken).
All in all, we think Smalls is the overall best human-grade cat food available this year.
- USDA-certified ingredients
- No BPAs, preservatives, fillers
- Good for gastrointestinal issues
- More expensive than kibble
- Must live in the United States
2. Caru Free Range Chicken Broth Cat Food – Best Value
|Type of food:||Bone broth|
|First ingredients:||Water, Chicken Bones, Organic Carrots|
- Great human-grade cat treat
- Organic ingredients
- USDA-inspected chicken bones
- No artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors
- Some cats may not like it
3. Open Farm Homestead Turkey Rustic Blend Dry Cat Food
*Use code HEPPER20 and save on your first auto-ship order.
|Type of food:||Wet|
|First ingredients:||Humanely raised turkey, turkey bone broth, pumpkin, carrots, spinach|
|Protein:||8.1% min ad fed and 44.99% on a dry matter basis|
No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives have been added to this food. Their unique package is resealable it can safely be portioned and refrigerated leftovers after opening. The formulas can be used as a complete meal or as a topper to add flavor and nutrition to dry food. Something else? You can trace each bag right back to the source instantly by scanning the lot code on it as part of their transparency standard.
However, this high-quality food and service come at a price that might not be affordable for most budgets, let alone if you have multiple small mouths to feed.
- Humanely raised Turkey as a source of best quality protein
- Made with real and whole ingredients
- Meet AAFCO standards
- High in protein
- Resealable and recyclable package
4. The Honest Kitchen Grain-Free Chicken Dry Cat Food
|Type of food:||Dehydrated Cat Food|
|First ingredients:||Dehydrated Chicken, Eggs, Potatoes|
- Meet AAFCO standards
- No by-products, preservatives, or GMO ingredients
- Not suitable for eggs allergies
5. Lotus Just Juicy Venison Stew Wet Cat Food
|Type of food:||Wet|
|First ingredients:||Venison, Venison Broth, Carrots|
- High-quality proteins
- Limited list of ingredients
- Contains potato starch
Related Read: Best Premium Cat Food – Reviews & Top Picks
Buyer’s Guide: How to Select the Best Human-Grade Cat Food
What exactly is human-grade cat food?
Human-grade means that the ingredients used in the manufacture of the food product meet the demanding sanitary rules of human hygiene. It also indicates that the product in question is safe for human consumption. The raw materials that make up pet foods include animal protein. These proteins are suitable for human consumption which are not or little used. For example, we are eating fewer organ meats. We prefer cuts of poultry to whole poultry. The industry makes it possible to promote these excellent quality products which are despised for cultural or seasonal reasons. While the food manufacturing process is rigorously adhered to in our feed chain, it remains less essential in the feed chain. However, food safety is as essential for the health of the animal as it is for that of its owner. Preventing pollution with pathogenic bacteria or any other undesirable substances in foodstuffs helps prevent food poisoning. On the other hand, the only way to manufacture pet food containing ingredients deemed to be “human-edible” is to never let the meat leave the human food chain, to manufacture this food in facilities intended for food suitable for human consumption, and transport it in trucks intended for food for human consumption. Thus, the claim of a product indicating that it contains “ingredients for human consumption” is therefore false if the product is not manufactured in facilities intended for food for human consumption.
Should you buy human-grade cat food?
The bottom line is that your cat needs food that is high in protein and several other nutrients for optimal health. Perhaps more importantly, you and your cat need very different nutrients. Just because a particular can of cat food is labeled “human-grade” doesn’t necessarily make it the best choice. In general, if you read reviews or talk to your vet, you can choose a cat food that’s right for your pet and know you’re doing what’s best for your furry friend.
Giving your pet the highest quality nutrition is a top priority, so why not give them a food and water dish to match? The Hepper Nom Nom Bowl is our product, but it’s too good not to share.
Made from food-safe stainless steel, you can ensure that your pet is consuming the best nutrition out of the finest bowls on the market. Click here to get yours.
Bonus: Here are some tips to help you better understand what the ingredient labels say
- The ingredient list is not the only method to use in choosing the best food for your cat, as this list does not provide enough information on the quality of the ingredients or the nutritional value of the product as a whole.
- Rather than focusing on the ingredients, pet owners should consult the AAFCO profiles on nutrients in pet food as well as the quality control protocols put in place by the manufacturer.
- The list of ingredients can be organized in such a way as to make the food as appealing as possible to consumers (e.g., listing the veal first in the list) or to include ingredients that appear desirable in the diet, but often they are in amounts so small that they have little or no nutritional benefit (e.g., artichokes and raspberries listed after vitamin and mineral supplements).
- The number of ingredients does not make food more nutritious.
- Just because cat food is not advertised as “human-grade” does not mean that the ingredients it contains are of poor quality.
What you should take away from our human-grade cat food reviews is that there are, indeed, quality choices available on the market right now. Smalls and Open Farm are the more expensive options, but the freshness of the ingredients and especially the fact that the recipes meet AAFCO standards are a guarantee of high quality. Your best bet is to discuss with your vet the best option for your cat, and if he concludes that human-grade food is an appropriate choice, you can come back to our list and satisfy your kitten’s palate!
Featured Image Credit: correct pictures, Shutterstock