100+ Boxer Dog Names: Ideas for Fearless & Smart Dogs
Boxers are smart and energetic, with a fearless personality and a playful spirit. If you’ve just adopted one, lucky you! But now comes the hard part: deciding what to name your brave puppy.
That’s where this list comes in! We’ve gathered over 100 classic and funny dog names that will be just right for your Boxer. And if you’re looking for a famous boxer namesake, scroll down! From Mike Tyson to Jack Dempsey, we’ve put together a great list.
Female Boxer Dog Names
Male Boxer Dog Names
Boxer Puppy Names
You might be looking for a name that’s just a fresh and adorable as your new Boxer puppy. This next list has a few that might typically only seem fitting for a pup, but you shouldn’t knock them as they will grow perfectly with your pup mature into their wise dog years.
Famous Boxer Dog Names
The Boxer’s name comes from their innate tendencies of standing on their hind legs during play and using their front paws to, well, box. So, if you’re a boxing fan and you’ve adopted a Boxer pup, what better namesake for your pup than a famous boxer? There are plenty to choose from, but the following are the favorites out there.
Name your dog Mike or Tyson in honor of the famous world heavyweight champion.
Muhammad Ali, whose nickname is “The Greatest,” was one of the world’s best boxers. He’s also known for coining the iconic phrase “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.”
Sugar Ray Robinson
Sugar Ray was a powerful welterweight and middleweight boxer — with a great name, to boot!
Jack Dempsey was a heavyweight champion way back in the 1910s and 20s. Give your boxer a name that looks back at the so-called “Golden Age of Sport”!
- Also see: Best Puppy Food for Boxers
If those individuals weren’t quite the perfect match, you might be interested in a name from the following list. One of these would be incredibly unique while keeping true to your baby boxers’ theme!
- Evander Holyfield
- Oscar De La Hoya
- Manny Pacquiao
- Rocky Marciano
- George Foreman
- Marvelous Marvin Hagler
- Floyd Mayweather
- Lennox Louis
- Tyson Fury
- Joe Louis
- Roy Jones Jr.
Finding the Right Name for Your Boxer
Have you found the perfect name for your playful Boxer? We know it can be hard to choose, but whether you go for something classic like Maggie, powerful like Bruno, or funny like Knockout, your dog is sure to love their new name.
Don’t stress yourself out over it either. Narrow your list and say the names aloud a number of times, in cool and calm voices, and the stern voice as well. If you trust your instinct, you’ll know the name after you say it out loud a few times.
Tips for Naming Your Boxer
If you’re having a bit of trouble landing on the perfect name – we are still here to help! Below we have created a few helpful tips for you to consider while rummaging through dozens of names.
- Keep it simple – choosing a short and brief name is actually beneficial in a few different ways, mainly for training. Your pup is less likely to be confused with a short name like “Buck”, rather than Mr Buckington. Although their formal name might be longer, ensure that whatever you choose is able to be shorted into a version that you can use regularly.
- Ask for opinions – recruit your family and a few close friends and do a simple poll of your top three. Sometimes additional input is all you will need to help clear the air!
- Test them on your new pup – you might be surprised by the reaction you get from your pup when you first say their name. If you are stuck between a few, let your pup decide! Say each out loud and watch how your pup responds. An excited tail wag or curious head tilt may mean you have a winner!
- Wait it out – you might be eager to place a name the second you bring your pup home, but waiting until they’ve adjusted to their new environment may give you the clarity you seek! Watching their true personality shine might actually influence your top picks!
- Have fun – naming your pup is an exciting part of the adoption process. Whatever name you choose will grow with your pup – and we are sure that you will create a few cute nicknames for them along the way.
But, if you’re still stumped, that’s okay. We’ve blocked the punch with dozens of other dog name lists for you to sift through. Try out one of the lists below:
- 100+ Amazing Brown Dog Names
- The Best Hawaiian Names for Your Dog
- A Complete Guide to German Dog Names
Header image credit: Alan Smith, Pixabay