With the close relationship pet owners have with their dogs, it isn’t surprising that we often let them eat the things we do. In some instances, this isn’t a big issue, such as pumpkin, for example. In others, the foods we eat can be toxic to our best friends without us knowing it. That’s the case when it comes to star fruit. Yes, it is a tasty fruit, but when it comes to your pets, it is a huge problem. Dogs can not eat star fruit as it is dangerous for them and can cause kidney failure and even death.
Let’s learn more about star fruit and what’s hidden inside it that is so dangerous for your dog. This will help you ensure that you’re only providing your best friend with foods that are safe for them to consume and avoiding potentially life-threatening situations.
What Is Star Fruit?
Star fruit, or Averrhoa carambola, originated in the tropical areas of Southeast Asia. This fruit can now be found growing in South America, the US, the Caribbean, and South Asia. These fruits look like a five-point star that has been elongated. These fruits are tasty and even offer lots of antioxidants, vitamins A and C, magnesium, and potassium. Unfortunately, they also contain caramboxin, which is a neurotoxin. Oddly enough, even with this neurotoxin, star fruit is usually safe for humans to consume, (unless they have kidney disease) but only in reasonable quantities.
Star fruit also has soluble calcium oxalate crystals inside them. It’s these crystals that are so dangerous for our canine friends to eat. Even a small amount of star fruit can leave your dog’s kidneys in distress. This happens when the oxalate crystals combine with the calcium found in a dog’s body. This drops the dog’s calcium levels quickly and significantly which causes calcification of the kidneys. In the worst cases, eating this fruit can lead to total kidney failure and eventually death which is why dogs should steer clear completely.
Star Fruit Poisoning in Dogs
When a dog eats star fruit, the symptoms of star fruit poisoning can be quite disturbing to witness. Unfortunately, star fruit poisoning in dogs can happen quickly. If you even suspect your dog has ingested this fruit, take them to your veterinarian immediately so treatment can begin. Here are the signs your dog has ingested star fruit and requires attention:
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive thirst or urination
- Bloody urine
- Rapid heart rate
As we’ve already mentioned, in extreme or rare cases of star fruit poisoning, kidney failure can happen. If your dog isn’t taken to the vet for treatment this could result in death. This is especially true in small dogs as the calcium deposits can build up fairly quickly. Even large dogs can fall victim to this fruit, however, especially when a considerable amount has been eaten.
There are several foods out there that are not suitable for your dogs. Star fruit is one of them. While you may enjoy this fruit, you must partake away from your dog and avoid sharing even a small bite with them. For small dog breeds, even a little star fruit can be extremely dangerous. No matter your dog’s size, however, it is best to avoid allowing them to eat this fruit and reach out to your veterinarian if it happens accidentally.