Anyone that has ever owned a cat will know that cats can have some pretty big personalities! Cat lovers (like us!) will tell you that they adore the spunky and sassy attitudes their cats have.
Alongside these charming attributes, cats quite often have an extremely mischievous side. This cleverly playful nature stems back to their days as predators in the wild. Using trickery, smarts, and hunting behaviors would help them catch their prey.
Our domestic cats still use these funny behaviors in the home, whether they stalk us as we walk down the hallway in the night, wake us up by chasing our elusive toys under the blanket, or leave paw prints in the butter. Our cats do many hilarious things that incite mischief and meddling.
If your cat is extra mischievous, they need a fitting name that precedes them! Here are our top 100 picks for your small cat with a big character.
Click to Jump Ahead:
How to Name Your Cat
There are a couple of things you should know when choosing a name for your cat. These tips will help you narrow down the perfect cat name and prevent you from getting totally overwhelmed by the abundance of choice.
- Consider your cat’s appearance and personality. What name fits?
- Find a personal influence such as hobbies, favorite shows, sports you like, or special interests. This inspiration will give your cat a name that fits uniquely to you.
- Don’t rush into a name. You may be scrambling to find something and choose something you regret later. A name is not needed immediately, as your new kitten will likely not listen to it anyhow!
Mischievous Girl Cat Names with Meanings
A mischievous girl has a character all her own. Clever females are often alluring, powerful, coy, and crafty. They can use their feminine charm to their advantage to appear sweet and innocent, only to catch you off guard in a trap or ploy! This personality is aptly fitting for many cats who have their humans well and truly under their thumb.
- Missy – short for mischievous
- Tempest – means “a violent storm”
- Trixie – an abbreviated form of trickster, but in Latin, it also means “bringer of joy”
- Rhonda – in Welsh it means “noisy”, in Greek it means “powerful”
- Aella – an Amazonian warrior of Greek mythology, also means “whirlwind”
- Raven – inspired by the raven birds who are master thieves
- Jinx – a companion of legend spy James Bond
- Rebel – the ultimate troublemaker, an English word that means “defiant”
- Kahali – Indian for “mischievous”
- Tinkerbell – just like all fairies, this famous fairy is known to be sassy and cunning
- Roxie – a classically sassy name, it means “bright or dawn”, will suit a cat who loves to be your 4am alarm call!
- Lilith – a figure from the bible, Adam’s first wife who rebelled against God
- Lorelai – a siren from German legend who lures fishermen to their death
Mischievous Boy Cat Names with Meanings
There is always something undeniably charming about a troublesome boy. They are often charming, witty, and mysterious. The phrase “devilishly handsome” is a prime example. Their entertaining wit will keep you on your toes. Your cheeky boy cat deserves a name that fits his endearing personality.
- Buster – a loving name for naughty children
- Rowdy – a “noisy and disorderly” character
- Maverick – the term for someone who follows their own unconventional path
- Mac – means “wise guy”, suitable for cheeky and clever cats
- Osman – means “son of the cunning serpent” in Arabic
- Ares – the Greek god of war, also translates to “ruin”
- Rascal – a term of endearment for a cheeky character
- Zorro – meaning “fox” in Spanish
- Brutus – famous for assassinating Julius Caesar
- Cain – a figure from the bible who plotted to kill his own brother
Villainous Cat Names
Sometimes your cat’s fun and games can seem like they are devising a nefarious plot against you. You can’t tell me your cat hasn’t got a hit out on you when they hide behind doors to pounce! This villainous persona has always been prevalent, with many great supervillains keeping a cunning cat by their side. Mischief and trickery are common themes of modern and ancient villains. Here are some fantastic male, female, and unisex names:
- Freddy (Kruger)
- Shere Khan
Cat Names Inspired by Mischievous Gods
If we were playing a word association game, the first word that would pop up for many after hearing mischief is Loki. This god of mischief is probably the most famous god full of tricks, but many gods in many cultures use trickery and ploys as a means to an end.
- Loki – a cult classic, the son of Odin and the god of mischief
- Anansi – A trickster of African origin.
- Hermes – god of travelers and thieves
- Maximon – a Mayan deity who uses trickery
- Cupid – a mischievous matchmaker
- Ratatoskr – a squirrel in Norse mythology that was a sly messenger
- Prometheus – the Greek god of fire, but known to mischievous trick his foes
- Eris – the goddess of discord, who played tricks to get other gods to argue with each other
- Coyote – a figure in many accounts of Native American mythology; he stole fire from the gods as a gift to mankind
- Reynard – a cunning fox from the North European Middle Ages
- Kitsune – the Japanese word for fox and a supernatural trickster figure in Japan
Names for Feisty Cats
The trait of mischievousness often comes with a temper and a fiery spirit. Mischief is brewed in a clever mind and pursued by rocket-powered energy. Cats are a prime example of this determined and passionate personality, so these feisty names will go hand in hand with your mischievous cat.
Names for Your Playful Cat
As much as they may try to convince us, cats are not truly out to get us. In fact, these zany and silly behaviors are a type of play. Play is a valuable way for cats of all ages to learn, practice, and hone their stalking and hunting behaviors. Play is also a sign of comradery and bond, so your cat’s mischievous behavior towards you is a misplaced sign of affection!
We hope that you have not made it to the end of this list, as you found the perfect name for your cat within it! However, we know how difficult committing to just one name out of many great choices can be. So, if you are tossing up between some of your favorites, refer to our naming tips at the beginning of this list to help you settle on a forever name. We know whichever name you choose your favorite feline will adore it!