Hepper is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.

OC Raw Dog Food Review 2023: Recalls, Pros & Cons

Sarah Psaradelis

By Sarah Psaradelis

oc raw Dog Food Review

Review Summary

Our Final Verdict

We give OC Raw Dog Food a rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.

OC raw dog food is a family-owned business that creates raw and natural dog food sold for a reasonable price. The company began by selling their homemade dog food recipes on their driveway, and now created their recipes in a certified and inspected commercial kitchen in the United States.

They aim to create raw dog food recipes that are natural and contain a blend of wholesome ingredients to keep dogs healthy regardless of their breed. OC raw dog food believe that rotating formulas is important if you want to ensure dogs have a balanced diet and their risk of developing an allergy is minimized.

This article will give you all the information you need to know if you are interested in buying one of their recipes.

divider 9

At a Glance: The Best OC Raw Dog Food Recipes

Rating Image Product Details
Winner
OC Raw Meaty Rox Frozen Beef & Produce OC Raw Meaty Rox Frozen Beef & Produce
  • High protein content
  • Helps improves dogs' coat condition
  • The meat and produce are USDA certified
  • Second place
    OC Raw Freeze-Dried Chicken & Produce OC Raw Freeze-Dried Chicken & Produce
  • The chicken is premium cuts
  • High in cost-effective protein
  • Ideal for dogs with allergies to grains
  • Third place
    OC Raw Frozen Rabbit & Produce OC Raw Frozen Rabbit & Produce
  • Low fat for pancreatic dogs
  • A complete and balanced recipe
  • USDA-certified poultry ingredients
  • OC Raw Chicken, Fish, & Produce OC Raw Chicken, Fish, & Produce
  • Added Fish to Increase Omega 3/6/9
  • Without Heavy Fish Smell
  • Grain, Potato, Pea, Lentil FREE
  • OC Raw Lamb & Produce OC Raw Lamb & Produce
  • Higher Protein/Lower Fat Content
  • USDA Certified Meats Ingredients
  • Grain, Potato, Pea, Lentil FREE
  • OC raw dog food currently has several frozen and freeze-dried dog food recipes that are sold through their website and cannot be found in stores or through large online retailers.


    OC Raw Dog Food Reviewed

    Who makes OC Raw Dog food and where is it produced?

    OC raw dog food is run by a family-owned business and the recipes are distributed throughout the United States. The facility where the recipes are produced is in their commercial kitchen located in Corona, California. The recipes are certified and meet the standard that has been set out by the AAFCO, however, OC raw dog food does not specify where its ingredients are sourced from, though it states on its website that the ingredients are natural and thoughtfully sourced.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/CJd24lPlJAf/?igshid=NDRkN2NkYzU=

    Which Types of Dogs OC Raw Dog food Best Suited For?

    OC raw dog food recipes are best suited for dogs that will benefit from freeze-dried or frozen dog food that contains a mixture of fruits, vegetables, and high-quality meat formulas. The recipes have been formulated for all dog breeds of various ages.

    It seems to be suitable for dogs who need a high protein diet from lean meats, and OC raw dog food states that it is ideal for dogs who are prone to allergies. The formulas have specific ingredients that can cater to a certain dog’s need, such as senior dogs who will need a formula with fewer calories than a puppy or young adult dog would.

    OC raw dog food works on a calorie content feeding guide to help customers determine which recipe will be best for their dog by looking at the additional ingredients and caloric content of the food.

    Which Type of Dog Might do Better with a Different Brand?

    If your dog has any specific health conditions, allergies, or is a senior, they may do better with a recipe specially formulated for their condition. For example, Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach recipe is great if your pooch has any stomach issues, or the Adult 7+ recipe from Hill’s is great for senior dogs.

    Discussion of the Primary Ingredients (Good and Bad)

    OC raw dog food recipes contain a high amount of meat, bone, and organs at around 90% per recipe. Meats such as fish, chicken, rabbit, lamb, duck, and turkey are the main ingredient in each recipe, followed by 10% of vegetables, fruits, and supplements. Each formula does not include potatoes, peas, lentils, and grains.

    Calcium carbonate is included in the recipe as a stabilizer. Some formulas contain cod liver oil for joint support and there are no hidden or potentially harmful ingredients which is why the OC raw dog food recipes are classed as “natural.”

    OC raw dog food does not include added preservatives, colors, or vitamins in any of the formulas, as the vitamins and minerals can be found in each ingredient such as blueberries, apples, broccoli, and spinach.

    The type of supplement in each recipe varies depending on the type of recipe as some recipes are better suited for dogs that need a special diet, such as the OC raw dog food rabbit, and produce a recipe that is formulated for dogs with pancreatitis.

    divider 10

    A Quick Look at OC Dog Food

    Pros
    • Recipes are available as frozen, freeze-dried, or as treats.
    • The meat-based ingredients (meat and produce) are USDA certified.
    • Ideal for dogs with food sensitivities and allergies.
    • The ingredients are easy to read and contain no potentially harmful ingredients.
    • Contains no risky artificial ingredients, flavors, and preservatives.
    • Recipes are created in an AAFCO-certified kitchen.
    Cons
    • The foods are currently not available through large retailers and can only be purchased through the website.
    • OC raw dog food received a warning letter from the FDA in February 2021.
    • The company has not expanded outside of the United States.
    • Vitamins and minerals come from individual ingredients and are not included in the recipes in a separate form.

    Recall History

    OC raw dog food may be new to the natural and raw dog food community, but they have already had several recalls throughout the years.

    May 2015

    The frozen turkey recipe from OC raw dog food was recalled after an FDA report that the food potentially contained salmonella.

    September 2015

    The FDA filed a report for potential salmonella in the Meaty Rox chicken and fish produce recipes.

    April 2018

    Several products were recalled by an FDA report on the 20th of April in 2018. These were voluntary recalls as the products tested positive for possible listeria contamination according to the state’s agricultural department. The second voluntary recall was for the fish recipes because the size of the fish went against the FDA’s compliance guidelines which put the food at risk of causing botulism poisoning.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/CHMgkCAjtYG/?igshid=NDRkN2NkYzU=

    Warning Letter

    OC raw dog food received a warning letter issued by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) back in February 2021. The letter was issued after an inspector from the FDA found the facility to be a health risk.

    The inspection revealed that the facility where the food was being prepared went against the FDA’s Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventative Controls requirements for animal foods. During the inspection, there was listeria and salmonella recovered in certain food samples.

    The warning letter may also influence why the company’s dog foods are no longer sold through large retailers such as Amazon.

    Divider 4

    The 3 Best OC Raw Dog Food Recipes

    OC raw dog food has 8 dog food recipes, each with a different meat as the main ingredient and we have taken a look at 3 of the most popular recipes.

    1. OC Raw Meaty Rox Frozen Beef & Produce Dog Food

    OC Raw Dog Food Meaty Rox Frozen Beef Produce Recipe

    OC Raw Meaty Rox Frozen Beef & Produce Dog Food contains beef meat, organs, and bones as the main ingredients. Ground beef is listed as the first ingredient followed by beef bone, heart, and tripe to form 90% of the food. The other 10% of the food consists of fruits and vegetables such as alfalfa, apples, beets, and spinach.

    This recipe does not contain any artificial ingredients and it is free from lentils, peas, and potatoes. This food contains a slightly higher fat content than the other recipes because it aims to improve a dog’s coat health.

    Pros
    • Helps improves dogs’ coat condition
    • High protein content
    • The meat and produce are USDA certified
    Cons
    • The vitamins and minerals can only be found in the ingredients and are not added to the recipe

    2. OC Raw Freeze-Dried Chicken & Produce Dog Food

    OC Raw Dog Food Freeze-Dried Chicken and Produce Recipe

    OC Raw Freeze-Dried Chicken & Produce Dog Food contains ground chicken as the main ingredient, followed by chicken bone, liver, and gizzard to form 90% of the food. The other 10% of the food consists of fruits, vegetables, and supplements such as blueberries, parsley, broccoli, carrots, and calcium carbonate.

    Cod liver oil has been added to the recipe as a supplement for joint health and mobility, and the recipe contains no artificial ingredients, grains, peas, and lentils. This specific recipe is not formulated as a special diet like the others.

    Pros
    • High in cost-effective protein
    • The chicken is premium cuts
    • Ideal for dogs with allergies to grains
    Cons
    • The guaranteed analysis is not specified

    3. OC Raw Frozen Rabbit & Produce Dog Food

    OC Raw Dog Food Frozen Rabbit and Produce Recipe

    OC Raw Frozen Rabbit & Produce Dog Food contains rabbit, ground rabbit bone, and giblets as the main ingredients to form 90% of the total recipe. The other 10% includes vegetables and fruits such as broccoli, blueberries, cranberries, and green beans. Cod liver and olive oil have been added as a supplement to the recipe to form a low-fat and high-quality food suited for pancreatic dogs. The cod liver oil is used for joint support, and olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats with high levels of antioxidants for immune boosting.

    Pros
    • Low fat for pancreatic dogs
    • A complete and balanced recipe
    • USDA-certified poultry ingredients
    Cons
    • The guaranteed analysis is not specified

    What Other Users Are Saying

    • Amazon – As pet owners, we always double-check with Amazon reviews from buyers before we buy something. You can read these by clicking here.

    Divider 5

    Conclusion

    OC raw dog food has two main dog food recipes, frozen and freeze-dried, and the company offers a natural and raw alternative to feeding your dog. They include all-natural ingredients in each of their recipes and are ideal for dogs with food allergies and sensitivities to ingredients such as grain, potatoes, and lentils which are excluded from all 8 recipes.

    Although OC raw dog food has had some recalls in the past along with an FDA warning letter, they offer recipes with a natural blend of beneficial and wholesome ingredients that you can purchase from their website.


    Featured Image Credit: OC Raw

    Related Articles

    Further Reading

    Vet Articles

    Latest Vet Answers

    The latest veterinarians' answers to questions from our database