RAWZ Dog Food Review 2023: Recalls, Pros & Cons
Rawz is a dog food brand you may not have heard of due to its careful selection of retailers. These foods aren’t widely available, but there are multiple retailers they sell through in person and online. They prefer to sell through small businesses that embody their beliefs as a company, so don’t expect to see Rawz in a big box pet store anytime soon.
The primary idea behind this brand was to develop dog food that meets the nutritional needs of dogs without providing unnecessary extras, like fillers. While Rawz is a smaller brand, their foods are made with responsibly sourced and high-quality ingredients, and the foods are manufactured in the United States, so you can feel good about where your dog’s food is coming from.
At a Glance: The Best Rawz Dog Food Recipes:
|Our Favorite||Rawz Meal-Free Dehydrated Chicken & Turkey Food||
|Rawz 96% Salmon Food||
|Rawz Meal-Free Salmon, Dehydrated Chicken & Whitefish Food||
|Rawz 96% Duck, Turkey and Quail Canned Dog Food||
|Rawz Limited Duck Dry Dog Food||
Rawz Dog Food Reviewed
Who makes Rawz and where is it produced?
Rawz is a privately owned company that was founded by Jim Scott Jr. and his son, Jim Scott III. This family previously owned Old Mother Hubbard, which was sold to WellPet, owners of the Wellness brand, in 2008. Their goal has not only been to provide high-quality nutrition for dogs and cats, though.
Both of the Scott’s sons suffered severe, life-altering injuries, which led the family seeing firsthand the impact that a pet can have on the health, wellbeing, and healing of people. As their way of giving back, they donate 100% of their profits, after taxes and reserves, to providing service dogs and organizations for traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries.
Rawz manufactures all of their own food, and they only purchase responsibly sourced ingredients. Their website offers a breakdown of where all of their ingredients are sourced from, all the way down to vitamins and minerals.
Which type of dog is Rawz best suited for?
Regardless of your dog’s age, Rawz foods are likely suitable for them. These foods are acceptable for all life stages, but it’s important to follow the feeding instructions, especially for pregnant and lactating females and puppies and young dogs that are still growing. These foods are all high in protein and low in carbohydrates, making them suitable for active dogs. They are moderate in fat, though, making these foods a good option for helping maintain your dog at a healthy body weight.
Which type of dog might do better with a different brand?
Foods from Rawz are approved for dogs of all life stages. However, all of the recipes are high in protein, which may make these foods unsuitable for dogs who require low to moderate protein diets. This can be elderly dogs or those with kidney disease. For dogs requiring less protein in their diet, we prefer JustFoodForDogs Veterinary Diet Renal Support Low Protein Fresh Frozen Dog Food, which can be prescribed by your dog’s vet.
Discussion of the Primary Ingredients (Good and Bad)
- Salmon: Salmon is a lean protein source that is ideal for dogs that have issues with their skin and coat health. It’s a great source of omega fatty acids, which support skin and coat health, as well as joint, brain, and eye health. It’s also a lean protein source that is not often associated with food sensitivities in dogs.
- Chicken: Chicken is another lean protein source for dogs, which helps support muscle growth and development, as well as repair after activity. It’s also a great source of glucosamine and chondroitin, both of which help support joint health and mobility. It also contains some nutrients that have been linked to improving mood and brain health.
- Duck: Duck is a great source of protein, but it is less lean than salmon and chicken, so it also adds healthy fats to your dog’s diet. It contains high levels of B vitamins, which can support immunity and energy for your dog. Duck is also a great source of iron, which helps support healthy respiratory and cardiovascular function.
- Broth: Different recipes of food from Rawz feature different types of broth, including vegetable, turkey, and chicken broth. Broth is a great way to increase hydration within a food, which can be especially beneficial to active dogs and those that don’t drink enough water every day. Depending on the type of broth, a variety of nutrients can be added to the food, and a huge benefit of broth added to dog food is that it increases the palatability of both wet and dry foods.
- Pea: Peas are an excellent source of plant-based, lean protein. They’re also rich in many nutrients, like zinc, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin A, some B vitamins, and antioxidants. However, peas and other legumes in dog food have shown a potential link to causing heart disease in dogs, so it’s important to discuss these risks with your vet, especially if peas or pea protein are high on the list of ingredients in your dog’s food. In these products the pea is lower in the ingredient list, meaning there is a lower content of this ingredient.
Protein is an essential nutrient for muscle building and maintenance for dogs. Rawz offers a whole line of dog foods that are rich in proteins that will help your dog build and maintain their muscle mass, even as they age. Protein also helps repair muscles after activity, as well as supporting healing after an illness or injury. Dogs with decreased kidney function may require less protein in their regular diet, but many dogs can benefit from high-protein foods.
Although dogs are omnivores that are capable of absorbing nutrients from carbohydrate sources, large quantities of fruits, veggies, and grains may not be necessary in your dog’s food. Some carbs, like fiber, help support healthy digestion and bowel movements, and even a healthy heart and brain. Although the foods from Rawz are free of grains, they do contain fiber-rich ingredients, like flaxseeds, peas, and miscanthus grass.
Responsibly Sourced Ingredients
It’s becoming more and more important to not only know where the ingredients in our daily products come from, but also if these ingredients are sourced from responsible growers and producers. Responsibly sourced ingredients that come from known locations can help us feel better and safer about where our dogs’ food comes from. You can also feel good knowing that the ingredients in Rawz foods are high-quality ingredients that will help support your dog’s overall health and wellbeing.
Grain-Free Diets Containing Legumes
All of the recipes offered by Rawz are free of grains, but they do contain ingredients to provide fiber and other important carbs. However, a link has been drawn between grain-free diets and dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs. Further studies have indicated there may be a link between DCM and grain-free diets that contain high amounts of legumes and potatoes in place of grains. Many of the Rawz diets contain peas or pea protein, although these ingredients vary as to where they fall on the ingredients lists. Studies have indicated that the more peas or other legumes a food contains, the greater the risk.
A Quick Look at Rawz Dog Food
- 100% of proceeds support non-profit organizations
- Transparency of ingredients sourcing
- High-protein recipes
- Foods low in unnecessary carbohydrates
- Moderate fats support a healthy body weight
- Nutrient-dense ingredients
- Grain-free recipes containing legumes
At the time of this writing, Rawz dog foods have not experienced any recalls.
Reviews of the 3 Best Rawz Dog Food Recipes
1. Rawz Meal-Free Dehydrated Chicken & Turkey Food
The Rawz Meal-Free Dehydrated Chicken & Turkey recipe contains real proteins as the first seven ingredients, including dehydrated deboned chicken, turkey, chicken liver, and turkey hearts. This food contains 40% protein and 12% fat, which is on the low end of moderate fat content.
It’s a good source of glucosamine and chondroitin, which will support your dog’s joint health. While it is low in carbohydrates, it contains 4% fiber to support your dog’s healthy digestion. It’s gently cooked in small batches to ensure nutrient content and quality.
This food is free of grains and contains peas, although pea starch and dried peas are eighth and ninth on the ingredients list.
- First seven ingredients are animal proteins
- 40% protein content
- 12% fat content
- Good source of glucosamine and chondroitin
- Fiber supports healthy digestion
- Small batch cooking ensures quality
- Grain-free food containing peas
2. Rawz 96% Salmon Food
The Rawz 96% Salmon recipe is an excellent food option for dogs that prefer wet food and those with food sensitivities. It only contains four ingredients of salmon, fish broth, fenugreek seeds, and vegetable broth. It contains a dry matter content of 48.6% protein and 40.4% fat.
This food is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids to support skin and coat health. It also contains phytonutrients that help support digestive and neurological functions. It may help lower bad cholesterol and support healthy glucose levels.
This food is formulated to be fed as a supplemental food or topper, and it should not be fed as a primary food source.
- Four ingredients
- 10% protein content
- 10% healthy fats
- Good source of omega-3 fatty acids
- Supports digestive and neurological function
- May lower cholesterol and promote healthy glucose levels
- Intended for supplemental feeding only
3. Rawz Meal-Free Salmon, Dehydrated Chicken & Whitefish Food
The contains animal proteins as the first six ingredients, including salmon, whitefish, dehydrated deboned chicken, and turkey liver. It contains 40% protein, 12% fat, and 4% fiber.
This food will help support your dog’s digestive health, thanks to its fiber content and its easily digested ingredients. It’s a great source of glucosamine and chondroitin to support your dog’s joint health. It’s also a good source of omega-6 fatty acids, which are ideal for supporting brain health, metabolic function, skin and coat health, and a variety of other benefits.
This food is free of grains and contains peas, although pea starch and dried peas are the seventh and eighth ingredients.
- First six ingredients are animal proteins
- 40% protein content
- 12% fat content
- Supports digestive health
- Good source of glucosamine and chondroitin
- Good source of omega-6 fatty acids
- Grain-free food containing peas
What Other Users Are Saying
Let’s see what other people are saying about dog foods from Rawz!
- Cherrybrook Premium Pet Supplies: “My 7 year old Maltipoo does fantastic with this food given her beyond sensitive stomach and bloody stools to all other hard food. My 1.5 year Siberian Husky loves this food being how picky she is.”
- com: “Always pleased with the Rawz cans. A straightforward food without any filler junk. My dogs happily eat every bit.”
- Amazon: “Pups love this stuff, and their tummies too. Way less gas and issues with digestion than with other foods.” Read more reviews about Rawz here.
Dog foods from Rawz are available in multiple varieties, including limited-ingredient diets. These foods are made with high-quality ingredients that are sourced responsibly, and Rawz is transparent with consumers about where they source their ingredients from. These foods are all high in protein, which supports healthy muscles and growth. Moderate fat content helps maintain a healthy body weight, and fiber-rich ingredients support healthy digestion.
These foods are free of grains, and most of them contain peas, so it’s important to discuss the potential risks associated with this type of diet with your vet before switching your dog. We do like the food options from Rawz, though, and appreciate not only the quality of the food but the fact that Rawz donates 100% of its proceeds to non-profit organizations.