10 Best Calcium Supplements for Dogs in 2023 – Reviews & Top Picks
Calcium is an essential mineral to promote your dog’s health and wellness. A calcium deficiency can cause orthopedic problems in growing puppies and bone disease or similar disorders in adult dogs.
If you prepare your dog’s food or own an expecting mother, and don’t provide your dog with commercial or prepackaged fresh dog food, a calcium supplement is necessary to create a balanced diet for your pup. However, with such a wide variety available, you may not be sure which one to choose.
We’re here to help you find the best calcium supplements for dogs. We’ve listed our selections for the 10 best calcium supplements for dogs and ranked them from our top choice on down. Hopefully, our fact-filled reviews and at-a-glance pros and cons lists will help you decide on a calcium supplement that’s right for your dog’s needs.
We highly recommend consulting your veterinarian before purchasing and offering a calcium supplement to your dog.
A Quick Glance at our Favorites in 2023
|Best Overall||Breeders' Edge Oral Cal Plus||
|Best Value||Nutrived Calcium Plus||
|Premium Choice||Nutrition Strength||
|Best For Puppies||Sure Grow||
The 10 Best Calcium Supplements for Dogs
1. Breeders’ Edge Oral Cal Plus Calcium Supplement — Best Overall
We recommend Breeder’s Edge Oral Cal Plus calcium supplement as the best calcium supplements for dogs overall. If you own an expecting mom, this high-performing calcium supplement gives your mother dog the burst of energy she needs to maintain strong, regular contractions, to speed up whelping, and to prevent a c-section.
Breeder’s Edge Oral Cal Plus is formulated with a proprietary blend that’s complete and quickly absorbed with no artificial additives. Calcium carbonate and milk calcium complex provide the calcium your dog needs during and possibly after giving birth. Vitamin D and magnesium ensure better calcium absorption. And, antioxidants ease your mother dog’s stress levels.
It’s recommended that you give a dose to your dog when starting labor and after every second puppy is born. The supplement is administered through a syringe labeled clearly with measurement marks. Some dog owners found the syringe tight to depress and a bit difficult to use. However, most dogs seem to like the flavor.
- High-performing calcium supplement
- Formulated for expecting mom dogs and delivery
- Provides essential burst of energy during labor
- Aids strong, regular contractions
- Speeds up whelping
- Prevents possible c-section
- Complete and quickly absorbed blend
- No artificial additives
- Added antioxidants to ease stress
- Syringe has clear measurement marks
- Dogs seem to like flavor
- Syringe may be difficult to operate
2. Nutrived Calcium Plus — Best Value
For the best calcium supplements for dogs for the money, we chose Nutrived Calcium Plus. This calcium supplement offers you a great value with 60 chewable tablets at an affordable price. And, they work well with positive results. Most dog owners report their dog’s health issues related to a calcium deficiency improved significantly.
Nutrived Calcium Plus contains an ideal blend of essential minerals, vitamins, proteins, and amino acids with no artificial ingredients. This dietary supplement is best suited for large breed puppies with fast growing bodies, pregnant and nursing dogs, and any dog in need of extra calcium.
The 60 chewable tablets will give you at minimum a month’s supply. Dogs under 10 pounds receive a half a tablet a day while larger dogs require one to two tablets a day. The tables have a roast beef and liver flavor that not every dog seems to enjoy. The texture is crunchy not chewy. The tablets can be crumbled and mixed into food.
- Best value: 60 tablets at an affordable price
- Majority of dogs receive positive results
- Blend of essential minerals, vitamins, proteins, and amino acids
- No artificial ingredients
- Ideal for large breed puppies, pregnant and nursing dogs, calcium deficiency
- Dosage is adjustable for dog’s size
- Dogs may not prefer taste and texture
3. Nutrition Strength Calcium Phosphorus Supplement — Premium Choice
We selected Nutrition Strength calcium phosphorus supplement as our premium choice. Although this calcium supplement is more expensive, you’ll receive 120 tablets which depending on the size of your dog will last you between a month and several weeks.
The high quality of the ingredients with no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives ensures your dog is getting the necessary calcium plus phosphorus as well as other helpful vitamins and minerals. To avoid allergens, none of the ingredients in this supplement are derived from soy, corn, or grain.
Nutrition Strength calcium phosphorous supplement is well suited for all sizes, breeds, and maturity levels of dogs. This complete formula benefits bone growth in puppies particularly with large dog breeds. Grown dogs gain the essential calcium needed to maintain optimal health and to correct deficiencies.
While most dogs take the tablets with no resistance, some dogs turn up their noses to it. The tablets can be crushed and mixed into your dog’s food.
- Bottle contains 120 tablets
- One purchase will last up to several weeks
- Formulated with calcium and phosphorus
- Added vitamins and minerals
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Ingredients are not derived from potential allergens
- Suitable for all sizes, breeds, and maturity levels
- Ideal for supporting bone growth in puppies
- Corrects calcium deficiencies
- Maintains calcium levels
- Some dogs refuse to eat the tablets
4. Lambert Kay Sure Grow — For Puppies
Ideal for the growing needs of puppies, Lambert Kay Sure Grow provides a complete supplement to support bone, ligament, and tendon development. The exclusive formula contains much needed calcium, phosphorous, and vitamins A and D for puppies experiencing rapid growth.
Adult dogs also can benefit from this effective supplement. Dogs with hip dysplasia and similar common bone and ligament health concerns respond well to regular doses of this supplement. Lambert Kay Sure Grow is also recommended for pregnant and nursing dogs to maintain and improve calcium levels.
At an affordable price, you’ll receive 100 chewable tablets. Most dogs enjoy the flavor. These tablets contain artificial colors and vegetable oil which do not contribute to your dog’s overall health. We learned that a few dogs did have an adverse reaction such as stomach upset to this supplement.
- Ideal for fast growing puppies
- Complete supplement
- Formula features calcium, phosphorus, vitamins A and D
- Adult dogs see bone and ligament benefits
- Suitable for pregnant and nursing dogs
- Chewable tablets that most dogs seem to like
- Contains artificial colors and vegetable oil
5. Pet Tabs Calcium Formula Supplement
If you’re looking to improve your dog’s calcium levels, you may want to consider Pet Tabs calcium formula supplement. Although newly named Pet-Cal, this supplement contains the same formula of essential minerals and vitamins.
With regular dosage of this supplement, your dog or puppy will benefit from this source of calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D. This supplement supports the development and overall health of bones, joints, and teeth.
The 60 chewable tablets are suitable for dogs of all ages and sizes. Most dogs seem to like the flavor while some dogs refuse to eat it based on its taste or texture. After assessing the ingredients, we found that this supplement contains wheat which can be an allergen. It also has unnecessary added sugars such as corn syrup.
- Formula contains essential minerals and vitamins
- Source of calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D
- Supports bone, joint, and teeth health and development
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes and ages
- Most dogs like the flavor
- Some dogs don’t like the taste and the texture
- Contains wheat which can be an allergen
- Added sugars
6. American Pet Botanicals Nature’s Best Seaweed Calcium
A beneficial addition to your homemade dog food, or given as a supplement, American Pet Botanicals Nature’s Best Seaweed Calcium offers your dog a unique source of calcium sourced from 100% wild harvested Icelandic calcareous marine algae. This unusual ingredient supplies bioactive calcium, magnesium, and an amazing 72 different types of trace marine minerals.
While higher in price than other calcium supplements, this product has the advantage of providing your dog with allergen free, GMO free, human grade, vegan ingredients that have been FDA approved and certified by a variety of health agencies. As a result, with regular dosage your dog will gain stronger, bones, nails, and teeth, a healthier coat, improved heart health, and better nerve and hormone functioning.
This supplement comes in a powder form that can be conveniently added to warm or cold dog food. The wide mouth jar makes it easy to scoop out the one teaspoon dosage. We learned that larger breeds may require more than a single teaspoon. The powder is described as tasteless. However, some dogs may detect it and turn up their noses.
- Unique marine source of calcium
- Contains magnesium and 72 trace minerals
- Allergen free, GMO free, human grade, vegan ingredients
- FDA approved and certified by health agencies
- Provides multiple health benefits
- Convenient to add to homemade dog food
- Some dogs don’t like taste
- Higher in price than similar products
7. Animal Essentials Seaweed Calcium
Easy to add to your dog’s homemade food, Animal Essentials Seaweed Calcium comes in powder form. At each mealtime, measure one teaspoon of this supplement and mix it into your dog’s food. Most dogs seem to tolerate the taste.
Developed with the assistance of a veterinarian advisory board, Animal Essentials is formulated with calcium, magnesium, sulfur, potassium, phosphorus, sodium, zinc, iodine, and selenium. This mixture of minerals helps to maintain your dog’s overall health and prevent harmful deficiencies.
The seaweed for this supplement is harvested in an environmentally sustainable manner off the coast of Iceland. All of the ingredients in Animal Essentials are human grade and tested for purity. Unfortunately, we learned of several accounts of dogs experiencing stomach upset, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Easy to add to homecooked dog food
- Most dogs tolerate taste
- Developed with veterinarian board
- Contains a wide range of minerals
- Seaweed harvested by environmentally sustainable means
- Ingredients are human grade and tested for purity
- Some dogs experienced stomach upset, vomiting, or diarrhea
8. Upco Bone Meal Steamed Bag Supplement
There’s one ingredient, porcine bone meal, in Upco Bone Meal Steamed Bag Supplement. Porcine meal is an all-natural concentrated protein source which is derived from pork. The fat and the moisture are extracted during rendering resulting in a golden to medium brown in color product that’s rich in calcium and phosphorus.
This supplement comes in a powder that’s easy to incorporate into your dog’s food. It’s ideal for puppies, adult dogs, and pregnant or nursing dogs. For puppies, it promotes healthy development of bones, teeth, and tissues. In older dogs, this supplement helps to maintain optimal calcium levels.
While beneficial for most dogs, we learned of some dogs becoming lethargic and acting sick after consuming this product. This product does not contain vitamins, particularly vitamin D which aids in calcium absorption. Also, a few dogs did not care for the taste and a few owners complained about the odor.
- One ingredient: Porcine Bone Meal
- Concentrated source of calcium and phosphorus
- Contains protein and other essential minerals
- Easy to use powder form
- Ideal for puppies, adult dogs, pregnant or nursing dogs
- Some dogs became lethargic after consuming
- No added vitamins, especially vitamin D
- A few dogs do not care for the taste
- May have unpleasant odor for humans
9. NaturVet Calcium-Phosphorus Supplement
For dogs and puppies over 12 weeks old, NaturVet calcium-phosphorus supplement provides your dog with essential minerals. This formula includes vitamin D which enhances your dog’s ability to absorb calcium and phosphorus. It’s helpful for older puppies, especially large and giant breed puppies, for building and maintaining strong bones.
The powder is easy to add to your dog’s food. However, NaturVet is higher in price than similar products in powder form. Despite its elevated price, we learned of several quality control issues with secure packaging. Also, the powder may give off a strong, unpleasant odor as you add it to your dog’s food. However, most dogs seem to like the taste.
- Ideal for dogs and puppies over 12 weeks old
- Provides an excellent source of calcium and phosphorus
- Contains vitamin D for better mineral absorption
- Powder is easy to add to dog food
- Helps puppies with proper bone development
- Most dogs like the taste
- Higher in price than similar products
- May have strong, unpleasant odor
- Poor quality control with packaging
10. PetAg Calcium Phosphorus Tablets
For adult dogs, puppies older than 12 weeks, and nursing dogs, PetAg calcium phosphorus tablets contains the optimum amount of calcium and phosphorus to support the development and the maintenance of strong bones. This supplement is fortified with vitamin D for better mineral absorption.
This affordable product provides you with 50 tablets which can be given whole. The tablets are scored to be easily broken in half or you can ground them to be mixed into your dog’s food. We learned that the texture of these tablets may be too brittle. Many dog owners received bottles with multiple broken tablets. Most dogs seem to enjoy the flavor and we didn’t learn of any adverse reactions.
- Ideal for adult dogs, nursing dogs, and puppies over 12 weeks
- Contains calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D
- Supports the development and maintenance of strong bones
- Affordable price
- Tablets can be given whole, in half, or ground into a powder
- Tablets have brittle texture
- Poor quality control: broken tablets
For the best calcium supplement for dogs overall, we chose Breeders’ Edge Oral Cal Plus Calcium Supplement. If your own an expecting mother dog, this supplement can offer crucial benefits for whelping and after birthing in the event of a calcium deficiency. A syringe supplies the much-needed supplement which provides an essential burst of energy during labor resulting in faster delivery and preventing a c-section.
Our selection for the best dog calcium supplement for the money goes to Nutrived Calcium Plus. With 60 tablets at an affordable price, we found that a majority of dogs benefitted from the complete blend of essential minerals, vitamins, proteins, and amino acids. It’s an ideal supplement for large breed puppies, pregnant and nursing dogs, and dogs with a calcium deficiency.
Nutrition Strength Calcium Phosphorus Supplement is our premium choice. Formulated with calcium and phosphorus with added vitamins and minerals, this supplement is suitable for all sizes, breeds, and maturity levels. It’s Ideal for supporting bone growth in puppies, correcting calcium deficiencies, and maintaining calcium levels. It contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives and its ingredients are not derived from potential allergens.
Hopefully our helpful reviews along with our quick-reference pros and cons lists has helped you find the best calcium supplement for your dog or puppy. Calcium along with phosphorus and other essential minerals and vitamins play an important role in your dog’s overall health and your growing puppy’s development. With the right calcium supplement, you can ensure that you’re providing for your dog’s health and dietary needs.