12 Best Hooded (Covered) Litter Boxes – 2023 Reviews & Top Picks
Probably the least enjoyable part of owning a cat is dealing with a litter box. They’re unsightly and smelly, not to mention they can be a real pain to clean. One of the best solutions to your litter box woes is to invest in a hooded or covered litter box. Whether you want to fully disguise the box or just cover it so there’s a buffer between you and the stink of your cat’s fresh poo, there’s a covered litter box to meet your needs. Here are reviews covering the best hooded litter boxes on the market to help you find the perfect box for your home and lifestyle.
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites of 2023
|Best Overall||Booda Dome Cleanstep Litter Box||
|Best Value||Iris Top Entry Cat Litter Box & Scoop||
|Premium Choice||Whisker Litter-Robot Wi-Fi Auto Cat Box||
|Nature’s Miracle Hooded Corner Box||
|Catit Magic Blue Jumbo Litter Box||
The 12 Best Hooded (Covered) Litter Boxes
1. Booda Dome Cleanstep Litter Box – Best Overall
|Available Colors:||Pearl, Titanium, Nickel|
The best overall hooded litter box for cats is the Booda Dome Cleanstep Litter Box, which is available in three colors. It has a slightly pearlescent finish, giving it a more elegant appearance to help it fit in with your home décor. This box is 50% larger than a normal litter box, giving your kitty plenty of room to move around inside, and it has textured stairs leading into the box itself. The design keeps waste and litter in the box and the texture on the stairs helps clean your cat’s feet. The lid seals tightly on the base to prevent leaks, and there is a space in the top of the dome for a carbon filter to help reduce smells.
The internal portion of this box has curved walls, which can be difficult to clean. Although this box should not leak, urine can still get into the track where the lid and base fit together, so this requires extra cleaning.
- Three pearlescent colors available
- 50% larger than the average litter box
- Textured stairs help clean your cat’s feet
- Design keeps litter and smells in the box
- Lid and base fit together tightly and don’t leak
- Space in the lid for a carbon filter
- Curved shape may be difficult to clean
- Urine can get into the track where the base and lid fit together
2. Iris Top Entry Cat Litter Box & Scoop – Best Value
|Available Colors:||White and Green|
The best hooded litter box for the money is the Iris Top Entry Cat Litter Box & Scoop. This litter box includes a litter scoop that hangs on a hook outside of the box. The lid has a large hole, making it easy for your cat to get in and out. The lid functions as a grate to help catch litter on paws and allows it to fall back into the box. There are rubber feet on the bottom of the box, holding it in place and preventing sliding. Although this box isn’t truly disguised, it is unusual enough to not automatically be identifiable as a litter box.
This box has an oval shape, which takes away some of the space of a traditional litter box. The rounded edges may be difficult to clean. This box may be difficult for kittens, senior kitties, and kitties with mobility problems to use.
- Best value
- Includes a litter scoop that hangs on a hook attached to the box
- Large lid entry makes coming and going easy for most cats
- Lid has a grate feature to keep litter in the box
- Rubber feet prevent sliding
- More attractive than traditional boxes
- Less internal space than a traditional box
- Rounded edges may be difficult to clean
- May be difficult for some cats to use
3. Whisker Litter-Robot Wi-Fi Auto Cat Box – Premium Choice
|Available Colors:||Beige and Grey|
The premium choice for a covered litter box is the Whisker Litter-Robot Wi-Fi Enabled Self-Cleaning Cat Box. This smart litter box is available in two colors and is fully self-cleaning, you just need to empty the fully enclosed, carbon-filtered waste drawer when the machine tells you it’s full. This box is Wi-Fi compatible and will let you know about your cat’s usage and waste levels. It automatically runs after it senses any weight over 5 pounds. It can be set to run 3 minutes, 7 minutes, or 15 minutes after your cat leaves the box. This box is designed to support up to four cats on one Litter-Robot.
This smart litter box does come at a very premium price. Since it has a weight minimum of 5 pounds, it is not a good option for kittens and small adult cats. Some cats may have difficulty getting into the box and specially designed stairs must be purchased separately.
- Two colors available
- Waste drawer is fully enclosed and carbon-filtered
- Wi-Fi app will let you know when cleaning and maintenance should be performed
- Wi-Fi app will keep you up to date on your cat’s box use
- Can be set to run at various times after your cat leaves the box
- Supports up to four cats
- Premium price
- Not a good option for cats under 5 pounds
- Some cats have difficulty get into the box
- Stairs are sold separately
4. Nature’s Miracle Corner Cat Litter Box – Best for Kittens
|Available Colors:||Black and White|
If you have a kitten and need a hooded litter box for it, the Nature’s Miracle Just for Cats Advanced Hooded Corner Box may be just what you need. This box is angled so it can fit perfectly into a corner, helping you keep it out of the way in your home. It’s made with antimicrobial, non-stick surfaces on the inside, making cleaning the box easy. The entrance has a lip that makes it easy for small kittens to get into the box. It has a space for a replaceable charcoal filter that is made to last up to 3 months. There are latches that secure the lid tightly onto the base.
This box is oversized and requires quite a bit of litter to fill it. The plastic is flexible and it’s not advisable to carry this box with litter inside of it since the weight may be too much. The side latches that hold the lid into place on the base are very tight, difficult to use, and prone to breaking.
- Lip in the entrance makes it easy for kittens to use
- Angled to fit perfectly into a corner
- Antimicrobial and non-stick
- Easy to clean
- Includes a charcoal filter that is made to last up to 3 months
- Latches secure the lid onto the base
- Requires a lot of litter to fill it
- Flexible plastic isn’t made to support much weight
- Latches are difficult to use and break easily
5. Catit Magic Blue Jumbo Cat Litter Box
|Available Colors:||Blue and White|
The Catit Magic Blue Jumbo Litter Box is a great option for large breed or overweight cats. This box features a lid that latches securely onto the base and a translucent door that traps smells inside the box. The door lifts up on a track for easy cleaning access. The door can be removed if desired and the box will still trap odors. It includes an unscented filter pad that helps trap smells.
Due to the oversized nature of the box, it is not compatible with litter box liners. Some cats may not use this box with the door on it. It’s somewhat confusing determining where to install the filter pad on this box.
- Great for large breed and overweight cats
- Lid securely latches onto the base
- Traps smells inside the box, even if the door is removed
- Door lifts easily for cleaning and can be removed
- Includes a filter pad
- Not compatible with litter box liners
- Some cats won’t use the door
- Confusing to install the filter pad
6. Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter
If you’re looking for a box that blends into home décor seamlessly, the Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter is the perfect pick. This litter box is disguised as a large terracotta-look planter with a realistic faux plant in the top. It’s large enough for large breed and overweight cats, and the large opening makes cleaning the box easy without removing the lid. The filtered vent system helps reduce dust and smells.
The lid can be difficult to get properly seated on the base, so it may be difficult to put back together when you take the box apart for deep cleaning. Some people have reported their cats attempting to chew on or eat the faux plant and the included moss that helps disguise the plant. Due to the overall design of this box, it takes up more space than a traditional litter box.
- Blends into home décor
- Faux plant is realistic
- Box is large enough for large breed and overweight cats
- Large opening makes cleaning easy
- Filtered vent system reduces dust and smells
- May be difficult to seat the lid on the base
- Cats may attempt to chew on or eat faux plant and moss
- Takes up more space than most boxes
Related Read: 10 Best Cat Litter Box Furniture Enclosures – Review & Top Picks
7. Kitangle Corner Kitty Cat Litter Box
|Available Colors:||Black, Grey, White and Cream|
For a litter box that blends into home décor but takes up less space than a planter, you might like the Kitangle Corner Kitty Cat Litter Box. This box is available in four colors and is designed to fit in corners perfectly. The entrance is 6 inches tall, helping to trap smells and keep litter in the box without making it too difficult for senior and lower mobility cats to get in and out. The lid is easy to remove for ease of cleaning and it is sturdy enough for your cat to spend time on top.
This box comes at a premium price and the rounded walls along the front of the box may make it difficult to clean. It may become dented or scratched in shipping, which can be very frustrating considering the price of the box.
- Blends into home décor and is available in four colors
- Fits perfectly into corners
- Made to trap smells and keep litter inside
- Low enough entrance for kittens, senior cats, and cats with mobility problems
- Lid is easy to remove for cleaning
- Premium price
- Rounded walls may be difficult to clean
- May become dented or scratched during shipping
8. Frisco Flip Top Hooded Cat Litter Box
|Available Colors:||White and Grey|
The Frisco Flip Top Hooded Cat Litter Box features a lid that latches onto the base and a low entrance that’s easy for most cats and kittens to maneuver. It has a translucent door that helps keep litter and smells inside. It includes a disposable charcoal filter that helps keep smells under control. The door flips open for cleaning, giving you easy access.
The lid may not latch onto the base securely and the plastic is thinner than some other options, making the box somewhat flimsy. The door often hangs at an odd, partially open angle, which may let some smells out. Like other boxes with doors, some cats may not use this box.
- Low entrance is easy for most cats and kittens to use
- Translucent door keeps litter and smells inside
- Includes a charcoal filter to reduce smells
- Door flips open for easy cleaning access
- Lid may not latch securely
- Plastic is somewhat flimsy
- Door may not hang closed all the way
- Some cats may not use this box due to the door
9. ZEZE Space Capsule Cat Litter Box
|Available Colors:||White and Grey|
The ZEZE Space Capsule Cat Litter Box is an unusual litter box that looks like a pod of some sort. It’s not recognizable as a litter box, especially on first glance. It has a small, clear door that helps trap smells. The lid retracts partially into the base, making cleaning easy. There is a textured lip on the bottom of the entrance, helping to keep paws clean. It has an inner and outer shell, making the box sturdy, and it can be used outdoors.
This litter box may not be noticeable as a litter box on first glance, but it is eye-catching, so it may draw unwanted attention toward your cat’s litter area. The size and shape may make it difficult for larger cats to use, and the raised entrance may be too high for kittens, seniors, and cats with poor mobility. The rounded design may make cleaning difficult. Some cats may not use it because of the door.
- Modern design that doesn’t stand out as a litter box
- Door helps trap smells
- Lid retracts for easy cleaning
- Includes an inner and outer shell for stability
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- May draw attention
- May be difficult for larger cats to use
- Raised entrance may be too high for some cats
- Rounded design may be difficult to clean
- Some cats may not use this box due to the door
10. ScoopFree Covered Auto Self-Cleaning Litter Box
|Available Colors:||Taupe and White, Grey and White, Purple and White|
The ScoopFree Covered Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box uses easy to replace ScoopFree litter trays. It features a covered waste trap for storing solid waste and it has an auto shutoff if it senses your cat is in the box. The hood helps reduce smells and it has a “health counter”, which tracks how many times your cat uses the box.
This box has big limitations on the type of litter that can be used, and it’s intended to use the disposable ScoopFree litter trays, making it one of the least eco-friendly options. The trays must be replaced every 20 – 30 days, depending on the number of cats and box use. The solid waste compartment can get smelly after a while, and it is not made to be emptied until the tray is replaced. The manufacturer does not recommend using this box for kittens under 6 months of age, senior cats, or cats with mobility issues.
- Litter trays are easy to replace
- Covered waste trap reduces solid waste smells
- Auto shutoff keeps it from bumping into your cat
- Health counter tracks your cat’s usage
- Can only use ScoopFree disposable crystal litter trays
- Not eco-friendly
- Trays need regular replacement
- Can’t empty waste compartment until tray is being replaced
- Not recommended for use with kittens under 6 months, seniors, or cats with mobility problems
Related Read: 8 Best Self Cleaning Litter Boxes for Multiple Cats – Reviews & Top Picks
11. Clevercat Top-Entry Cat Litter Box
The Clevercat Top-Entry Litter Box is made for use with cats of any size or age. The lid is textured to help reduce litter tracking outside the box. It’s leakproof and will deter small dogs from the box as well.
Even though this box is disguised, it looks like a plastic storage box with a hole in the lid, so it won’t fit in as a classy piece of home décor. The interior corners are curved, which can be difficult to clean. Although it’s made for cats of any age or size to use, it may be difficult for kittens, seniors, and low mobility cats to use. The oversized opening in the lid may make this box accessible to medium or large dogs.
- Made for cats of any age or size
- Textured lid reduces litter tracking
- May deter dogs
- Looks like a plastic storage box
- Won’t fit in as home décor
- Curved corners are difficult to clean
- May be difficult for kittens, seniors, or cats with mobility problems to use
- Oversized opening may make it easy for medium and large dogs to access the box
12. Omega Paw Roll’N Clean Cat Litter Box
|Available Colors:||Brown and Tan|
|Litter Type:||Clumping, Silica|
The Omega Paw Roll’N Clean Cat Litter Box has an easy to clean design that reduces litter usage. It’s available in regular and large sizes for cats of all sizes. The waste trap is easy to remove and clean, reducing odors.
This litter box will only work properly with clumping or silica litter, and clumping litter that sticks to the box won’t work. To empty the waste into the waste trap, this box requires you to fully roll the box up onto its side manually. Even though this box is available in two sizes, the large size may be too small for many large breed and overweight cats. It can be difficult to fully latch the lid onto this box, which means litter will spill out the side when the box is tipped for cleaning.
- Easy to clean
- Reduces litter usage
- Two sizes available
- Waste trap is easy to clean
- Must use silica or non-sticky clumping litter
- Box must be rolled onto its side to empty waste
- Not a good option for people who struggle to lift cat litter
- Large size may still be too small for large breed and overweight cats
- Can be difficult to latch the lid
- Litter may spill during cleaning
Related Read: 10 Best Modern Cat Litter Boxes That Look Great in Your Home
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Best Hooded Litter Box
- Start Slowly – Cats can be exceptionally picky when it comes to litter boxes, so you’ll need to start slowly when you begin transitioning your cat over to a new box, especially if your cat is not used to a hooded box. When choosing a box, consider the number of cats the box or boxes will need to function for. Are you adding a box, replacing a box, or replacing all the boxes in your house?
- Consider the Size – The size of your cats should also be a big consideration. Large cats may be more apt to go outside the litter box if they don’t feel like they can comfortably do their business in a box that’s too small for them. The same goes for small cats and kittens that may not be able to easily access a litter box that is too large or tall. If your cat is older or has mobility problems, you’ll need to choose a box that allows your cat access without stress or pain.
- Type of Litter – Also keep in mind, you’ll need to choose a box that will work with the type of litter your cat is used to using. If your cat is particularly fond of clumping litter, then you don’t want to choose a box that will only allow you to use crystal litter. Giving your cat a new box with new litter and new smells is a recipe for disaster.
If you're tired of all the smells and stains that come with pet parenting, you should check out the Hepper Advanced Bio-Enzyme Pet Stain & Odor Eliminator Spray. Okay, it's our product, so we may be biased – but we love it so much, we just have to share it! It permanently removes even the very worst smells and stains, and we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
When it comes to finding the best hooded litter box for your cat, these reviews should have taken some of the difficulty out of your decision making. The best overall pick is the Booda Dome Cleanstep Litter Box, which traps litter and smells inside. For the best value, try the Iris Top Entry Cat Litter Box & Scoop, which is functional and includes a litter scoop and hanging hook. If you have a kitten, then your best option is the Nature’s Miracle Just for Cats Advanced Hooded Corner Box, which will sit perfectly out of the way in a corner.
Featured Image Credit: Tiplyashina Evgeniya, Shutterstock