Who doesn’t love peanut butter? If you didn’t raise your hand, we bet you could look around a find a paw or two in the air. Almost all tail-wagging furballs love a creamy, peanutty treat. Not only is it a great snack for your pet, but it is also great to use with toys like the congo for some added mental stimulation.
Dogs need a different set of ingredients than humans, though. This is why you can’t just pick up any old jar of Jiffy at your local supermarket. Unfortunately, some peanut butter for pooches also have ingredients that dogs should not be ingesting; like a ton of sugar. With all this said, it can be difficult to pick out the right brand.
When it comes to peanut butter, we agree with our four-legged friends, which is why we have found the five best choices available. Below, we provide the skinny on taste, nutrition, versatility (yes, it can be versatile), and much more. Plus, stick around for some extra helpful hints, as well.
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites in 2022
The 5 Best Peanut Butters for Dogs
1. Dog For Dog Dogbutter – Best Overall
Our favorite choice is the Dog For Dog 3050 Dog Butter. This tasty treat is a great source of protein and healthy fats. It is an all-natural and gluten-free snack that is made in the USA. You will also not find any hydrogenated oil, sugar, or salt in the formula. What’s more, there is no corn, wheat, or soy, either.
This buttery spread can be given to your pup on a spoon or used with a toy. You can even dip other treats in it, too. As another option, you can use this soft snack to spice up an otherwise dull meal. Mix it in with your pup’s dry dog food for an added shot of protein.
The Dog For Dog is easy to digest and won’t upset a sensitive stomach. Further, the creamy texture is light enough that it won’t get stuck in your pet’s throat causing them to cough and choke.
Beyond the protein, you will also find flaxseed and other vitamins and minerals within the this treat. It has a great flavor that your pup will love. Lastly, available in a 14-ounce jar, every unit that is sold prompts a donation to a dog in need.
2. Kong Real Dog Peanut Butter Tube – Best Value
The Kong 35585013206 Real Peanut Butter Tube is the best peanut butter for dogs for the money. This five-ounce tube is packed with a delicious creamy treat your pup will love. You can use this butter as a lickable treat, mixed with dry dog food, or you can use it with the Kong classic toy.
With an all-natural ingredient list, the Kong peanut butter uses sugar, hydrogenated oil, and salt to prevent separation and oil build-up. That being said, these items are used sparingly and do not change the overall nutritional value by much. What’s more, the creamy snack is packed with protein and other good nutrients. Also, as a bonus, this tube comes with an easy squirt nozzle top, so you can efficiently fill a toy to the brim with peanut butter.
As mentioned, even though the Kong peanut butter uses sugar and oil to prevent separation, it still has a low-fat content, and a good protein and fiber content. The tube is easy to use, and your dog will love the taste. Finally, this snack is easy to digest and won’t get stuck in your pet’s throat. Overall, this is a great option at a lower price.
3. Poochie Butter Dog Peanut Butter – Premium Choice
If you have a little bit more coin to spend, the Poochie Butter Dog Peanut Butter is a great option with a little higher price tag. As an all-natural dog treat, this option has five added ingredients to support your dog’s health. The formula includes dry roasted peanuts, cinnamon, turmeric, parsley, ginger, and coconut oil.
The Poochie peanut butter is made with no preservatives, and it has a healthy fat and protein content. That being said, be aware that this particular option is higher in calories than our first choice. You will also get 12 ounces of butter in this container. It can be used in conjunction with attention diverting toys, as a lickable treat, or mixed with dry dog food.
Pup’s love the taste of this natural option, and it is easy to digest. The consistency is also not sticky or too thick. You will not have to worry about your pet getting the creamy snack stuck in their throat. On a final note, this USA-based company donates 10 percent of their earnings to New Jersey animal shelters.
4. Green Coast Pet ‘Pawnut’ Dog Peanut Butter
The Green Coast Pet All Natural Pawnut Butter is another all-natural option that comes in a 16-ounce jar. This is a two-ingredient product that is formulated with USA-grown peanuts and flax seeds. It is a great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
This formula is free of salts, sugars, and preservatives. You can use it with refillable toys, on other treats, mixed with other food, or it can be used to bake with and make other treats. You can also serve this up to your pooch on a spoon as the consistency will not get stuck in their throat.
Something you should consider with the Green Coast peanut butter is that it is higher in fat than other butters. Also, it can be harder to digest for some pups. On the other hand, this snack is higher in fiber than other brands. It also has other nutrients that support your dog’s health, as well.
5. Bark Bistro Dog Peanut Butter
Our last option on the list is the Bark Bistro Dog Peanut Butter. Also known as the Buddy Butter, this formula is 100 percent natural. It can be used to fill the interior of refillable toys, you can mix it with dry dog food, or you can just let your pooch lick it up like a popsicle snack. The butter is made in the USA, and you can pick it up in 16-ounce jars.
The Bark Bistro formula has no preservatives but plenty of healthy fats, proteins, antioxidants, and vitamin E. The butter also has natural honey to help relieve symptoms associated with allergies or kennel cough. If your fur ball has a sensitive stomach, it can also help with their digestion. Plus, the snack can help boost energy.
You will not find any artificial flavors, hydrogenated oil, palm oil, corn syrup, sugar, or salt with the formula. That being said, this peanut butter needs to be kept cool at all times to keep it at a good consistency. Otherwise, it can become thinner and separate. Furthermore, you need to be vigilant while your pup is chowing down on this snack as the sticky, cool consistency can get stuck in their throats.
Finally, you should note that the Bark Bistro does not have as much protein as some other options. Also, it has a higher fat content. Overall, this is our least favorite peanut butter for dogs, however, it is not the worst possible treat out there for your pooch.
Buyer’s Guide: How to Choose the Best Peanut Butter for Your Dog
Important Things to Know About Peanut Butter for Dogs
When it comes to the best creamy and irresistible dog treat, peanut butter takes the cake. It is a healthy and nutritious snack you can give your pooch to show positive reinforcement and your general love. There are some things, however, that you want to be aware of when choosing a healthy peanut butter.
Take a look at these factors below, so you can keep an eye out for them when you’re shopping:
- Sugar: Just as it is for us, sugar is not the best ingredient for your pooch. Not only is it bad for their teeth, but it can also turn into unhealthy fat that is hard for your pup to burn off. Unfortunately, a lot of peanut butter features a lot of sugar to give it sweetness. When looking for a creamy treat for your puppy, try to stay away from those that have a considerable amount of sugar.
- Oils and Salts: Hydrogenated oil and salt are two ingredients that peanut butter manufacturers use to reduce the amount of oil kickback from their product. They also use these ingredients to keep a smooth and creamy consistency and to keep it from separating. Both of these ingredients, however, are unhealthy for your pet. A lot of dog-friendly butters will either use healthy alternatives, or they will use none at all. After all, your pup doesn’t care if their peanut butter separates or not. It’s all the same tasty treat to them!
- Fats: When we think about peanut butter, we typically think about something high in fat and not necessarily good for us. When it comes to our pets, however, they actually need a considerable amount of “healthy” fats to produce energy. In regards to peanut butter, make sure that you are staying within the realm of nutrition. Things like flaxseed and roasted peanuts are great examples of healthy fats. They also will give a good amount of protein and fiber, as well.
- Natural Formulas: As you may have noticed, all of our picks have natural formulas. Artificial ingredients, along with chemicals, hormones, and other synthetic items, are unhealthy ingredients for your pooch to consume. If you are unsure what to look for on the label, check for “organic” ingredients. Also, foods/treats with a limited amount of ingredients are typically healthier that those with dozens of items listed.
- Other Ingredients: Many manufacturers that formulate peanut butter for our pooches add other ingredients to support their health and well-being. Ingredients such as honey, flaxseed, and turmeric are all excellent sources of vitamins and minerals. These nutrient rich ingredients will promote healthy skin, bones, muscles, etc.
- Consistency: One of the scariest things about peanut butter is its nasty habit of becoming thick and sticky. This can cause it to get stuck in your pet’s throat or mouth, making them choke and cough. To avoid this, make sure you let your peanut butter sit out at room temperature for a few minutes before giving it to your pup. Also, make sure that you mix it well and only give it to them in small amounts. Handing over a large quantity is an invitation for them to gobble it up; possibly causing it to stick in their throat.
There are many other factors you should consider when deciding on the best peanut butter for your pooch. However, the majority of concerns are going to be whether they are healthy, nutritious, and have multiple uses… which we will talk about next…
The Joys of Peanut Butter
One of the many reasons why pet owners like peanut butter for their pet is due to its various uses. There are so many ways to utilize peanut butter besides just letting your furball have a lick fest. The possibilities, as they say, are endless.
Take a look at some of our favorite ways to use peanut butter:
- A Lickable Treat: This is probably the simplest and least imaginative way to utilize the buttery spread, but it is probably your dog’s favorite. You can serve this snack up on a spoon and let your pup lick it off. You can also dab a little bit on a plate or even on the floor, and let them go to town!
- Mix with Dry Food: Sometimes, dry dog food does not satisfy your pups palette. Mixing in a little bit of peanut butter with the bland food can take it from a plain piece of chicken to a filet mignon dish.
- Toys: Peanut butter works great with refillable toys. Not only is it a great way to show positive reinforcement and love, but it also helps with their mental stimulation and keeps them entertained. Refillable toys such as the Kong are designed so you can squeeze in some peanut butter. Your pup will spend hours working out how to get the peanut butter out of the toy.
- Peanut Butter Dip: Have you ever had one of those lazy evenings where you and your pooch share some snacks while watching a movie? Even if you have not, using peanut butter as a dip for other treats is a great way to spice it up. Many people like to use apple slices or banana chips, as well, to mix up an otherwise ordinary evening.
- Baked goods: With a quick Google search, you will see that there are hundreds of recipes at your fingertips. Peanut butter cookies, dog biscuits, and many other delectable treats come to mind. It is a great way to feature dog peanut butter as the main ingredient.
- Frozen Treats: Dogs like a nice cool snack in the summer just like we do. Add some peanut butter to an ice tray and add in a couple of their healthy treats or banana chips and freeze them. You can then pop them out later and toss them over your yard as a cool snack for your pooch.
- Distraction: Last but not least, peanut butter is one of the best distraction tools when it is time for a reluctant pup to take their medication. This is especially true if your pup needs to take a pill they are not eager to take. Add the pill into a little bit of peanut butter and freeze it. When it is frozen, hand it over to your pal as a treat. If they’re taking liquid medication, you can add it to the peanut butter and give it a little mix. Be advised, however, you always want to check with your vet before mixing medication with any type of food.
We hope the reviews above have shed some light on your pup’s favorite snack. Peanut butter is a healthy and nutritious treat for your furball that gives them some added protein and vitamins along with a happy surprise.
In your opinion, the Dog For Dog 3050 Dog Butter is the best available option. It is a healthy treat that your pooch will go wild for, and they will trade lots of love to get their paws on it. If you are looking for something a little more cost-friendly, try out the Kong 35585013206 Real Peanut Butter Tube. This snack has all the flavor and nutrition with a smaller cost to you.