As their name suggests, Coonhounds are members of the hound family and are motivated by the scents of the world! Also known as Coon Dogs, they are excellent hunting and tracking companions with prey as simple as raccoons to the mighty mountain lion! There are 6 distinct breeds of Coonhounds; Bluetick, Redbone, Black and Tan, Treeing Walking, American English, and the Plott Coonhound. Generally, this breed is kind and gets along well with children and other pets. However, their instincts may have them stalking smaller pets but as long as they don’t run, your Coonhound won’t have the urge to chase. They can be rather tireless so consistent exercise is a must.
Now that you’ve adopted a wonderful Coonhound and brought them home, the next item on the docket is to select their name and get down to training! With slightly different characteristics and distinct physical traits, you better believe we’ve created a section below for each! To help you search for the ultimate name for your new companion, the names have been gathered into the most populated female and male names, the most unique, fun, and interesting options by breed, and finally a list of the most iconic and famous Coonhound names in history!
Female Coonhound Dog Names
- Missy Heidi
Male Coonhound Dog Names
Bluetick Coonhound Dog Names
The Bluetick Coonhound enjoys his downtime, resting in the shade, and taking long naps. However, they can be relentless when it comes time to get on the trail. Known for their Merle or mottled coat, these nocturnal dogs have a muscular body and are built for speed! The Blueticks barks are booming so you’ll want plenty of interactive time to keep their busy! Here are our favorite names inspired by these lovable pooches!
- Blue / Blu / Bleu
Redbone Coonhound Dog Names
As you might have guessed, the Redbone Coonhound has a solid fiery coat which is the most gorgeous red tone. They are the perfect combination of the persistent working dog and family companion. The Redbone is a mild-tempered dog with bursts of energy that make them excellent hunters, hikers, and swimmers. For those who’ve adopted one of these beauts into their family, here are the most suitable names for a Redbone Coonhound.
American English Coonhound Names
American English Coonhounds are adorably mellow yet athletic. A compact frame And endurance make them ideal pets for sportsmen. These dogs are incredibly well rounded but will require patience during the training process! Coat colors vary among this breed but may include ticking – tricolor, lemon and white, red and white.
Plott Coonhound Dog Names
The intelligent Plott Coonhound was bold enough to hunt some of the fiercest predators – the bear! Although they are renowned for their strong work ethic, they are just as passionate about cashing in on some good cuddles at home. Primarily brindled, their coats come in a few different shades; black with gold flecks, russet with orange – all of which are sleekly lined by this breeds black facial features.
Treeing Walker Coonhound Names
Despite the slow saunter suggested by this breeds name, the Treeing Walker Coonhound happens to be quite quick! They happen to be the most common of the Coonhounds and have well mannered yet brave personalities. Easily distinguishable by their white, black, or tri-colored coat.
- Beau Truffle
Black & Tan Coonhound Dog Names
A cross between the Bloodhound and the Black and Tanned Virginia Foxhound comes the Black and Tan Coonhound. Using nothing but it’s a sense of smell, these tenacious dogs can track just about anything if they are motivated enough! Just as the other Coonhound breeds, they are incredibly friendly and will likely hog your dogs at the end of a long day.
Famous Coonhound Dog Names
With impeccable noses, and determination while on a hunt, of course, there would be a few iconic Coonhounds littered throughout time. If you are looking to honor a great dog, or find your pooch has similar qualities, one of these famous Coonhound names could be a match!
- Old Dan – Redbone – Where the Red Fern Grows
- Smokey – Bluetock – University of Tennessee Mascot
- Boss – Taylor Crockett
- Nash – Bluetick – Sun Shines on a Dreamer
- Tige – Taylor Crocket
- Scout – Redbone – The Orchard Keeper
- Little Ann – Redbone – Where the Red Fern Grows
- Bando – Bluetick – Homeward Bound
Finding the Right Name for Your Coonhound
Choosing which magnificent breed of Coonhound you should adopt should be your only tough decision when getting a new pup! Finding a name should be a fun added bonus! Hopefully, you were able to find some suitable matches and ultimately the one that fits your dog to a T. You might consider their personality, coat color, or multi-faceted traits when hunting for the right name! If you are unable to land on a single name, below are a few helpful tips guaranteed to help narrow it down:
- Say it out loud to your new pup – gauge their reaction when the name is spoken. They might indicate that they love by giving a sharp bark or a tail wag. A whimper or a loss of interest might show you the name is not quite right.
- Recruit a small group for opinions – ask your closest friends or family members for their opinion. Its important they meet your pup as well so they can get to know them a bit better. Remember, their opinions are guidelines, it’s your pup, and you should love the name first and foremost!
- Keep it simple – your new addition, whether it be a puppy, or a rescue learning a new name, will benefit from you choosing a name that is only one or two syllables. In fact, dogs are receptive to names that end in a vowel as they are much easier for them to distinguish. Keep these in mind before choosing Sniffing MC Huntington.
The hope is that you enjoyed reading this list of 100 + Coonhound Names. However, if you need additional name inspiration you may read of the following name posts linked below:
- Massive Bullmastiff Dog Names
- Australian Shepherd Dog Names
- Hound Dog Names: Ideas for Hunting & Tracker Dogs
Feature Image Credit: WilleeCole Photography, Shutterstock